fluval 405

edress714

Hey guys. So somethings going on with my fluval. I just did cleanup on it a few weeks ago. Maybe 2 weeks. Now the flow is slow again algae is building up quicker. What could be the problem? Something stuck in the tubing?

Possibly, I used to run the Sun Sun Canister 265GPH on my 40B and Bio cube and the hoses would get a build up of sponges and stuff every couple of months, I gave up and went with a sump in the end, but I'm sure a good vinegar bath would work, it seems to do the trick for everything else.

How would I do that with the tubing? Just pour it through one side and that's it? Never done vinegar rinse before

take the hoses off and soak it in a bucket of Vinegar/water.

I have never tried it but you could probably just run it on a bucket of vinegar for a couple of hours, not sure what would work best.

I give my skimmer a vinegar bath about twice a year, I just clean it off the best I can and leave it soak in 50/50 vinegar/water overnight, pump included then rinse it off and put it back together.

Thanks. Just put the hoses in vinegar and water. Poured some vinegar through the pipes too. We'll see what happens tomorrow

With those filters the return has a 180 degree bend before the spout. You can pop the curve off and clean it out. Maybe that has build up in it?

I also have a pipe cleaner attached to a 2 foot hose that worked wonders cleaning the tubes out. Ive seen a few lfs stores in the area carry them.

Just turned the fluval off. Removed the pipe attachment. Removed the motor head and put it back together. Turned on and got more water coming out. Wth is going on lol

not sure what to tell you, I ran a canister on a 29 Biocube for quite a while without any issues, but I didnt really think it was doing much on my 40B so I went to a sump, if that's an option it might be worth the switch, Petco has a $PG sale right now so you could do a DIY sump for pretty cheap