Suggestions for Tank

RTElite12

I have a 29 gallon biocube that I have modded by adding a HOB overflow draining down into a ten gallon sump with a reef octopus 4" skimmer, and a BRS carbon reactor. I have seeded dry rock from my previous tank and have a deep sand bed of live sand in the display. I already have my cleanup crew in the tank and have a friend who is taking down a friends fish-only tank and is giving me a pair of clownfish, a sand sifting goby, a fire fish, and an assortment of other cleanup crew over the next month or so. I am open to suggestions on filtration, a good maintenance schedule (my first tank had an algae problem), and especially on coral. I will be looking to buy soft corals when I get my tank running. I definitely want to stay with soft corals because I am still a beginner. I am open to any of your suggestions. Thank you.

The last thing I want to do is contradict Adrienne's advice on a RODI, she appears to be a very smart reefer. 

It's just that I generally never got the connection between RO water and nutrient levels.  Our water brings in picograms of nutrients, fish food brings in kilograms.  For large level nutrient removal I'd lean toward an algal turf scrubber on the water going into the sump, more rock in your sump or a larger capacity skimmer.   Better yet all three.

That's just my two cents worth and I know my opinion is against the mainstream in this hobby.  So take it for what it cost you, nothing.

The last thing I want to do is contradict Adrienne's advice on a RODI, she appears to be a very smart reefer. 

It's just that I generally never got the connection between RO water and nutrient levels.  Our water brings in picograms of nutrients, fish food brings in kilograms.  For large level nutrient removal I'd lean toward an algal turf scrubber on the water going into the sump, more rock in your sump or a larger capacity skimmer.   Better yet all three.

That's just my two cents worth and I know my opinion is against the mainstream in this hobby.  So take it for what it cost you, nothing.

Your opinion costs a lot of time and energy of ridding algae.

I used my well water which has a TDS level of 500 out of tap, over 700 after aeration, for 6 years in a 120g reef.  After year one, I had NO algae, but was limited in the corals I could keep, and couldn't keep an anemone alive but all fish and most inverts were fine.  However, I do use RODI on the two tanks I have now.

Any coral or maintenance suggestions.

The problem with so many of the soft corals is they can grow too fast and become invasive: clove polyps, green star polyps, certain lines of mushrooms, xenia...

I really like ricordeas, they're not typically thought of as invasive.

Zoas / palys but plz use protection.

Also, toadstools / leathers. I had some green sinularia once that was very pretty and very hardy.

Clowns will host in about anything (they're not so bright) but certain easy-to-maintain LPS will give you that "anemone" doppleganger effect: frogspawn, torch, duncans