Vacation and Moving tips with an aquarium

toastiireefs

So, I am going to be traveling soon given the holidays. 

I have 5 corals- 2 LPS and 3 SPS

2 clowns

annnnd a cardinal. 

I have a few friends who are in town who can help with feeding probably 2-3 times a week. 

My cardinal doesn't eat pellet-- so an auto feeder wouldn't help. And my clowns eat the alage in the tank so they can sustain them selves on non feeding days. 

I have two trips planned: Thanksgiving for about 5 days-- I would feed and do all maintenance before I left, and try and find a friend to feed once in the middle-- and once when I get back. Not a problem

The trip I am worried about is my honeymoon which is 30 days.  A REALLY LONG TIME TO BE AWAY FROM THE TANK. 

Not entirely sure how to handle that one. I think if i do a water change on either side of the trip the water quality SHOULD be fine. If I can get a friend to clean the skimmer every week or every other week, topping off - and feeding every few days? 

Does anyone do anything else besides having an auto feeder and auto top off?

Next 

Turns out I am moving back to DC in July/August!!! Do not know if I want to start all over and sell everything in North carolina, or if I want to transport all the critters to DC. 

I might sell a couple things. But should I decide to bring everything with me-- I was thinking some sealed buckets for the live rock with a bit of water in it. , bring the tank up empty (except for about an inch of water covering the sand. bagging up each fish and coral separately and placing in the empty tank or in the rock buckets. I would love to be able to set everything back up in DC. 

Alternatively-- I may ask some people to hold on to JUST a select few of the corals I have-- for a frag. Until I can get my tank set up etc-- 

Any suggestions- am I being ridiculous thinking I can move everything? 

you can move everything, I would say no problem. 

I just recently moved around the corner, and took my 150 over in 5 gallon buckets. I went skimmerless and without a light for a week, with nothing but 4 powerheads in a 100 gallon tub. Setup my new 180 and it went great. 

#1 vacation...5 days..you'll be fine with only feeding the day you leave...if you setup an ato prior to leaving, no need to have a one stop by,,,

#2 honeymoon, with an ato set up, and depending on your skimmer adding a Swabbie and a locker may keep you good there and then just need someone to stop by once every 5 days to feed...this also will cut down on the dirtiness of the tank...and just to check everything out...

I would say the five days is easy. The thirty day trip I would hire a service to come at least occasionally. I am surprised the cardinal doesn't eat pellet - mine all eat new life spectrum 1mm mini pellets with gusto. And moving shouldn't be impossible depending on what else you are dealing with but I would ditch the sand. Good luck!

With moving too, you can stop by a LFS and ask them to bag your fish for you. They have the air machines and can usually do it better (usually) so that your fish are packaged nicely for the trip. Depending on what time of the year you move, you may want to wrap every bucket in a blanket or towel for a bit of insulation. Bring some freshly made water with you too, so that as soon as you get where you are going, you can get your fish out of the bags and into some clean water. You may even want to have a small mini tank (or tub) for that purpose.

I just moved apartments and moved my 90g in tubs and buckets. It's a pain, but it definitely can be done.