The T5 project

JMsAquarium

So if I read this correctly the "final" (like anything ever is :D ) plan is to have 6 xT5 54w with VHO supplements?

(just trying to get an idea of how many T5 bulbs it takes for a 4' x 2' tank.

So if I read this correctly the "final" (like anything ever is :D ) plan is to have 6 xT5 54w with VHO supplements?

(just trying to get an idea of how many T5 bulbs it takes for a 4' x 2' tank.

55339[/snapback]

Yes that would be the final goal. However I must admit that to the naked eye, 4 t5 54W + 2 VHO 110W put already a lot of light. I will try to get hold of the PAR meter to see how it reads as it is now. Then, I will make the final decision based on the readings.

However I must admit that to the naked eye, 4 t5 54W + 2 VHO 110W put already a lot of light.

This does not surprise me. I have 2 T5s on my 55 and the tank is gangbusters. I added 2 VHOs 2 weeks ago, and removed them. Too much algae on the glass! I will re-install them with shorter photo periods.

It is amazing to me that 108 watts on a 55 is able to support SPS. :2thumbsup:

This does not surprise me.  I have 2 T5s on my 55 and the tank is gangbusters.  I added 2 VHOs 2 weeks ago, and removed them.  Too much algae on the glass!  I will re-install them with shorter photo periods.

It is amazing to me that 108 watts on a 55 is able to support SPS. :2thumbsup:

55343[/snapback]

Well well well... How you've been Mike? I agree with your statement above, and take into account that I am overdriving my T5s with an IceCap 660, so they are more in the 80ish watt range than the usual 54W :D

Yes T5 rule :2thumbsup: The only regret I have is not having done it at an earlier stage.

I am also running t5's now all parts from BRK.

2 54w 10k's powered by aro ballast (workhorse3 i think)

1 54w blue actinic and 1 110w vho actinic powered by a icecap 430.

All runnning on a 75 gallon with mostly softies, lps and a few sps. Heat range is 78 to 80 no fans with the heater kicking on at night. Never gets above 80. I enjoy it and toying with the idea of taking out the vho and getting the new t5 actinic from uri.

This has been up for about 2 months.

Oh and i do want to see the par meter out this way again.

All I can say is heh.... :)

Dave

It's not nice to gloat :lol:

Now, if I can just get over being a shimmer addict (love the T5's I have for non-pime lighting).

Guest mikesroth

Hey... Everyone knows that Sweaty, Shimmering Corals look the best!!!

..........or if you use T5's for extra lighting & only run the MH 6hrs you get shimmers and temps never over 79.5 ;)

Another update,

So far so good, every coral is happily enjoying the T5s. None of the mushrooms have shrinked.

Tank temp is stable at 79.5 at its peak. Since Wednesday, the T5s are running for about 4 hours/day now.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Update week 4

Since last week, I have the T5s running for about 6 hours per day and the VHOs for 11 hours more or less. This is the final photoperiod.

Every thing is doing great including the mushrooms. Temp varies from 75 at night to 77/78 at the peak.

The only variation I've noticed is a change in coloration on my purple monti digitata, the one I got from Chip. Great polyp extension but went from brown color at the base with purple tip at the top third, to full brown. It is the only coral that changed colors. All other kept their original colors and even have them more vivid.

Beside that monti, every thing is great. Overall I have no regrets having switched to T5s. :)

Jean-Marie,

Interesting... I was thinking about this as well... I haven't really noticed any "color" changes, but I have noticed corals changes...

i.e. my birdsnests frags... most that I have seen from people are thin branched, mine are very thick branched.

My Millis get extremly hairy (and don't grow up as much as they grow out.

Dave

Jean-Marie,

Interesting... I was thinking about this as well... I haven't really noticed any "color" changes, but I have noticed corals changes...

i.e. my birdsnests frags... most that I have seen from people are thin branched, mine are very thick branched.

My Millis get extremly hairy (and don't grow up as much as they grow out.

Dave

Indeed, there is some study potential here. I was talking to Chip the other day. We both got the same Monti and we splitted it. His has kept the purple, mine morphed. We decided to swap frags and watch for changes. Definitely something worth researching.

I will also monitor the growth, mines might very well be growing on the same pattern than yours.

Good to know! I went from PC to T5 instead of MH due to the heat issue (tank is in my room), I have always wondered if I would have been better off going MH...