first dead fish :(

toastiireefs

Went to bed last night-- everything looked like normal.-- Blenny was purchased a little less than  a week ago and seemed a bit skiddish but I thought it was eating because the algae on the skimmer pump looked grazed on. 

This morning blenny was dead in the "lair" of the clownfish -- looked a bit skinny and nibbled on but no obvious spots or discoloration or anything else that looked abnormal. 

Didn't have time to take a picture this morning-- or check my parameters-- but I just did a water change less than a week ago- I buy filtered water and mix it myself. 

I checked the salinity yesterday and it was 35 ppt

All my other fish looked perfectly fine this morning -- nothing else was out of the ordinary. :( 

All my fish come from the same store. I will check all my parameters when i get home tonight-- i really hope all my other fish are doing okay! 

Tank has been up and running since august with no other problems. 

i am just sad :( 

here is my build thread. 

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/67892-back-in-the-hobby-20-long/?do=findComment&comment=627263

Do you QT? 

Fish can live a month or more without eating so I doubt it starved to death. Death could have been caused by a number of things considering it's only been a week. Collection, handling, acclimation or general stress could all contribute. Some fish simply don't acclimate well to captivity. 

they called it a tiger blenny-- but I do not know if that is the right ID of it. I did not QT this fish (i know it's bad of me). I drip acclimate. Yes it can live for a month without food-- but i guess you do not know when it wasn't eating? But i am pretty sure it was eating. 

All I have is two clownfish and a cardinal fish. 

who are all doing well (as of this morning). It has been looking just "unsettled" for the last week--

I feed every other day, and skim, and have a HOB refugium that has calerpa in it 

If it died of starvation it would have been very skinny and obvious. 

Drip acclimation is good but we can't be sure that every link in the chain of custody took the care to do so properly. I wouldn't rule out the potential for cyanide poisioning or mishandling either. The bottom line is that if you acclimated it properly, placed it into a stable environment and it wasn't the victim of aggression then you did everything in your power. Chances are that it would have died even in QT. 

If it died of starvation it would have been very skinny and obvious. 

Drip acclimation is good but we can't be sure that every link in the chain of custody took the care to do so properly. I wouldn't rule out the potential for cyanide poisioning or mishandling either. The bottom line is that if you acclimated it properly, placed it into a stable environment and it wasn't the victim of aggression then you did everything in your power. Chances are that it would have died even in QT. 

you are very right-- I think I am going to strive to only have CB fishes-- which I should already try and do. 

my black clownfish is a bit agressive- so that is possible.