Brown slime on tip of coral

Jhead85

Not sure the type of coral got a piece from a buddy but I noticed the top is starting to get brown slime like on it..everything else in tank is doing great and the water is in great condition any ideas..also the second pic was a pice of coral that dident survive in tank..did good for 2 weeks then started to die..it's the second time that same piece died on me not sure the name on it either

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Jhead85/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps84f2b42e.jpg.html

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Jhead85/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0b5c80d4.jpg.html

What are the Donor's tank parameters compared to youra. I.E. ALK/CA/Mag/PO4 etc. Secondly you must do your reasearch on corals you desire to keep. He could have been running a Nutrient poor or rich system . You could dose 1ml of Hydrogen Peroxide per 10 gallons of total volume of system water daily for 1-2 weeks. In addition if it is not rare toss it or setup a small QT. Just my .02

Edited by DCReefer1964

Its hard to say from those photos, but I've seen massive dinoflagellate outbreaks start as just a bit of brown snot on a single coral.

The tip of the coral probably died and algae got stuck on it or started to grow there. The death could progress further down and up the coral or it could pull through and flourish

Stability is key all parameters. Alk, PH especially. Don't dose that stuff unless you need it and it must be slowwww dosed. If that wasn't the issue then buy encrusted frags