Closed loop

GaryL

I had 2 holes drilled for a closed loop with 1" each bulk heads... my question is that if a 1" bulk head will give 600gph flow (thats what a overflow will give) if i have a 1100 gallon pump should i Y both bulk heads too it or go with a smaller pump for each bulkhead? or can i go with a 1100gph pump for each bulk head? as i am not relying on the return from the sump for turbidity.  Thanks in advance G

I don't think a return line is the same as a drain line.  You are applying pressure to the return, while a drain is purely gravity.  I know I run way more than 600gph through my 1" drain as well.  How big of a tank is this for?

Guest tgallo

it's kinda hard to follow youre post , you say you have two1'' bulkheads for a closed loop, so one bulkhead feeds water down to youre pump, and the other bulkhead is a return, is this rite.

or do you reley on your overflow to feed the pump and then have it split into a y fitting and return thru each bulkhead into your tank.

Ahh- I see what tony is saying- good question- how do you plan to feed the closed loop?  It had sounded like you were planning on using both holes for water going back into the tank.

Gary,

Did you get the tank drilled for both overflows and a closed loop?  If I recall you were just going to have 2 holes drilled, 1 for a return into the tank and one for the drain back to the sump.  

A closed loop is a separate "loop" where the water is just pulled from the display and pumped right back in - IE: never entering the sump.

HTH

Glenn

oops sorry for the confusion... its a 150 aga. As i was talking to Grimm he said not to use the bulkhead fitting for any return..so now im confused rk. i had 4 holes drilled 2 overflows for the sump and 2 holes for the closed loop. the holes for the closed loop are positioned in the center of each half if you divide the tank down the middle. so would it be safe if i had one bulkhead going to the pump and one returning from the pump? I hope this helps as i type as erratic as i think   tng  thanbks in advance Gary