UV sterilizer

madmax7774

I have been given several wildy differing opinions about how long and how often to run my UV sterilizer. I just got it a few days ago, because I was having a terrible algae bloom. THe guy at LFS where I bought it said I could run it all day long, every day. guy at another LFS said it will kill my tank if I do that, and that I should run it for 3 days per month at a max. What gives, does anyone know the truth of this matter?

John

:huh: :huh:

Guest mikesroth

Talk to Chip (flowerseller) I believe that he runs his 24x7, and is a big believer of doing such.

it's a given UV will help with algae... but there could be other issues as well. what kind of water are you using for top off/water changes? if it's not RO/DI, or if you used non-RO/DI to fill up the tank initially, that could be a big factor for the algae as well. others feel that for less established tanks it can wipe out beneficial mircoorganisms.

from what i understand, there's a big debate on this topic, at least from what i've read online, regarding the disease protection that the UV provides. some people believe it's a huge help, and others think that it provides too much of a "clean room" type environment, lowers the animal's natural resistance to infection, and therefore if something gets in your tank, it can be catastrophic.

it's a given UV will help with algae
Only green water. Algae on the substrate won't be affected at all.

Only green water.  Algae on the substrate won't be affected at all.

54850[/snapback]

thanks for the clarification. that's what i meant! sometimes you have to be so specific in this hobby :)

Actually, it can help with algae on the substrate as well. Many algaes reproduce by spores, which are free floating in the water. If you can manage to eliminate some of the spores, you can reduce your algae. It won't solve the problem, but can help you out a bit. I don't know how long the contact time needs to be, however, as spores are designed to make it through poor and difficult conditions. Ask Johnny at BRK. He probably can tell you a lot more based on his koi knowledge.

What size is your tank?

Who makes the UV ?

What's the wattage and how many GPH flow through it?

(not what it can handle but what you actually believe is flowing through it)

How is it plumbed to your set up?

Tank is a 30 gallon oceanic hex, with 20lbs dead rock ,and 15lbs live. 2" live sand bottom. Very heavily stocked ( too heavy). Using a ehaim canister filter with a newly added remora protein skimmer. THe UV is an 8 watt that is driven with a small powerhead to purposely slow the flow down very slow. maybe 40 gph currently. As fas as who made it, I forget, as I got it at the LFS.

I'll stick with my original answer. The algae on the substrate will be unaffected, and the UV will only help with the spread if the vast majority of spores find their way into the UV before settling. Considering the expense of a UV and replacement bulbs, and the added plumbing, the benefit/gain ratio seems low. Maybe it will help, but remedying the conditions that support nuisance algae will be much more effective.

I am not particularly invested in the issue, but I don't know of a situation in which it has worked.

Actually, it can help with algae on the substrate as well.  Many algaes reproduce by spores, which are free floating in the water.  If you can manage to eliminate some of the spores, you can reduce your algae.  It won't solve the problem, but can help you out a bit.  I don't know how long the contact time needs to be, however, as spores are designed to make it through poor and difficult conditions.  Ask Johnny at BRK.  He probably can tell you a lot more based on his koi knowledge.

55218[/snapback]

I would double your thruput of the UV sterilizer to 80 - 100gph and run it 24/7.

From my experience with UV sterilizers, you will do little or nothing to kill the algae on the substrate or even the rocks. That would be better accomplished with ozone, but don't go there. Not that I'm against ozone in general, just think you can acheive similar results with out it's use and have better benifits from UV.

With the thruput I mentioned, you will clarify your water over the course of a week or two bringing more higher quality light to your corals and destroying free-floating micro-organisms.

Algae on the substrate can be taken care of with several different methods but not limited to things like increased flow throughout the tank, better, high volume skimming, less over feeding, and the list can go on including the water you use for make-up and exchanges.

Like Dave mentioned, the spores that might be released from the substrate algae can be killed while passing through the UV, but you will not wipe out existing algae like mogurnda said.

Now you're going to want to know about all the good bacteria you're also going to kill.

In as few a words as possible:

You will be very hard pressed to kill off more good bacteria to off set the benifits of a high quality properly fitted and maintained UV sterilizer.

Don't know where you are but you are welcome to come see a tank that has used UV for more than 10 years and even upgraded to a higher watted unit 5-6 months ago.

HTH and ask if not.