Back in the Hobby! 20 long

toastiireefs

• 4 months later...

So Updates:: 

I traveled to asia-- apparently everything went well with my fish carer-- only job was to feed not do water changes. However, I returned to an algae forest and a dead fish. 

to be fair my dead fish had been eating funny for a while-- looked like she was blind. 

Also one of my SPS had been turned upside down for who knows how long, still alive, but severely bleached. Trying to nurse that one back to health. Had a lot of growth on my green, purple tipped Monti cap, and I HAD growth on my green cap too. 

I then traveled to belize left my husband with directions (he failed). 

Came home to a partially dead green monti- most probable cause at the moment is algae smothering or temperature fluctuations. 

My hammer coral has spilt (WOO) and I broke apart my candy cane coral, got ride of the algae smothered pieces and glued the good pieces to another rock that is easier to clean. 

I have done a few water changes and suck up as much algae as possible.  there is less growth  now. all my standard parameters are  0 (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). 

temp is 76 

I have been dosing with nano 2 part solution every other day, every two days?

I added another powerhead for more flow. 

And I added a firefish which so far seems to be doing well. 

And a Turbo snail, which I may not have acclimated very well. poop. he was running around the tank, and then now is hiding under a rock and hasnt moved in a few days. but I cannot pull him out-- he is attached to the rock or glasswork and wont let go. 

SO I suspect I have a phosphate problem due to my algae growth, but I am running media in my skimmer. am still working on water changes to get that under control. seems to be getting better. 

My coraline growth has stopped and retreated-- due to algae smothering, but I am wanting to get that back up. What is the best way to do this? Continue treating with 2part to keep my Ca and Mg up? I have not tested these parameters yet, but I am planing on taking my water to get tested at my LFS. 

I think I need a skimmer upgrade- or maybe it just needs to be serviced. The skimmer is rated for a 40 or 50gallon (i dont remember now). but does not seem to be pulling a lot out of the water, though I only have 3 small fish in a 30 gallon, and do not feed every day.