Picotope 3 Gallon Aquarium Kit

Crob5965

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my desk at work, has anyone tried one? for the price I dont think I can find a better deal, I plan on keeping some zoas, Ricordea and inverts, thinking of a watchman goby and pistol shrimp.

may add an adult Sohal tang later any thoughts?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15493

I had one...darn near impossible to keep a stable salinity in it. If you buy one I'd suggest only keeping easy softies and that's about it. When a small amount of tank water would evaporate the salinity would go from 1.025 to 1.028 in a day

I had one...darn near impossible to keep a stable salinity in it. If you buy one I'd suggest only keeping easy softies and that's about it. When a small amount of tank water would evaporate the salinity would go from 1.025 to 1.028 in a day

+1 I have a 2.5 and only keep zoas in there. I can defiantly see it being a nice little set-up at work, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one that I almost ignore. It currently has a yellow clown goby, 5 sexy shrimp, a pom pom crab, and a few lps (duncan, favia, clove polyps). I have a little macroalgae too and a couple of snails. Tank is easy. I can't tell you the salinity, but I it has lost alot of water (an inch down) on a couple of vacations and nothing terrible happened.

While I am well versed on the reasons against, I haven't changed the water in this tank since January/February - just topped off with distilled. No algae issues, everything is active. It isn't exploding in growth so it clearly is struggling a little, but as long as something is fairly hardy I wouldn't worry too much if you can do easy maintenance (water change with a 16 oz cup). When I was only letting it go down a quarter inch and doing regular water changes I got some pretty good growth. Oh, I just remembered this little nugget. The hob filter died several months ago (pre-water change) and it has been running with a simple air pump releasing bubbles a little faster than one per second. No other flow. Lighting is stock.

I have one that I almost ignore. It currently has a yellow clown goby, 5 sexy shrimp, a pom pom crab, and a few lps (duncan, favia, clove polyps). I have a little macroalgae too and a couple of snails. Tank is easy. I can't tell you the salinity, but I it has lost alot of water (an inch down) on a couple of vacations and nothing terrible happened.

While I am well versed on the reasons against, I haven't changed the water in this tank since January/February - just topped off with distilled. No algae issues, everything is active. It isn't exploding in growth so it clearly is struggling a little, but as long as something is fairly hardy I wouldn't worry too much if you can do easy maintenance (water change with a 16 oz cup). When I was only letting it go down a quarter inch and doing regular water changes I got some pretty good growth. Oh, I just remembered this little nugget. The hob filter died several months ago (pre-water change) and it has been running with a simple air pump releasing bubbles a little faster than one per second. No other flow. Lighting is stock.

Thanks for all the info, I have a small 30 gal Canister that I may switch out the HOB with, that was one of the complaints I saw in the reviews.

I think this is going to happen not sure about livestock yet but it will be minimal.