Chiller Advice

Guest Edwardj

Guest Edwardj

I am considering a chiller by aqua logic. It's a 1/3 HP Delta Star. Here is a link on Marine Depot:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AL1117K

and on the MFR:

http://www.aqualogicinc.com/chillers/delta.htm

Does anyone have any opinions re: this chiller? Or the brand? Thanks! I know this has no pump included - any other drawbacks? I only have a 95g now, but hopefully one day this will become my sump to a bigger tank (200- 300 gallons). Any comments on noise levels?

Edwardj

I have a Pacific Coast Imports C-500 (1/2 hp) chiller on my 240, and I love it. It has a built in digital controller and does the job perfect. I only paid $850 for it. I had a power surge in one of lightning storms and the fuse blew, I called them and they sent me a dozen for free. I've had it for about 1 1/2 yrs now with no other problems. You can find them on ebay, thats where I got mine. If you want more information you can goto www.pacificcoastimports.com

Eric

I have an aqualogic trimline model from marine depot. ithink it is 1/4 or 1/3 i dont recall. i added the dual stage medusa controller upgrade. it is a bit loud when it runs. the temperature on my 75 gallon reef was as high as 85 degrees. (because of 500 watts of MH lighting.) now it is stable at 80.4 degrees. i would say i am satisfied with the chiller. the frame/casing of the chiller is a little loose though.

these chillers need to be somewhere they can export the heat. they cannot go inside the stand. also, i am using a mag 7 pump for the return. the pump in the sump sends water through the chiller and then to the reurn to the tank. there is a recommended flow through when running the chiller(GPH). the mag 7 is a good choice. PM me if you need any other info.

David B.