Upgrading flow on 125g, need sugesstions...

Tang-away

My set up:

125g rr

2 mag 9.5 returns to each corner of tank pointed toward center from 2 split outlets

1 dying maxi-jet 1200 in one corner.

here is a picture to show you the setup. the powerheads are gone in the picture. It is pretty stocked with SPS and one huge Toadstool. This is a picture about 4 months ago, so corals are bigger now

358831512KqRBGx_ph.jpeg

Now, I would like to upgrade my flow in the tank. I am thinking either 2 seio 1500 or 2600's or two Tunze streams. I would like to get a pair of streams but they are really expensive and can't decide which set up would be ideal for mine. 2 6060s without controller or 2 6000's with controller (~$700) Can some people comment on what would be best for my setup, being that it is 6 feet long and I would like to make it a hurricane in there. Thanks for the input.

I use 4 Maxijets totally behind the rock work on a natural wave strip- By far the cheapest route.

But in an area where you have milli's or Acros- you need the more direct flow- I added the SEO 620 and it is OK but not great I would choose to upgrade even on my tank- I think the 1500's or 2600's would do the trick focused on the sections where these are growing, comonly in the upper part of the tank for lighting reasons.

BTW- Great looking tank.

Regards,

Lee

Lee,

Thanks for the input. I did have 4 maxijet 1200 on a red sea wavemaker but the maxijets are worthless and clogged up and died within 6 months or so. I am down to 1 working maxijet now and would rather not go that route again because I am wasting money when the impellers break all the time.

My .02 -

Want wave action? Tunze

Want constant flow? Seio

You can replace a few Seio's for the price of a Tunze. I'd skip the 6060, I mean if you're going for constant fow then why not go Seio?

Two 6000's & a 7095 would do very nicely though still no "hurricane". You could get two 6000's & then upgrade them to 6100's at a later date if need be (it's a simple $60/ea transformer swap).

You'd be hard pressed to find another pump that moves 7,200gph (2x6000) for 15w max each.....but they ain't cheap (and they ain't small neither).

FWIW - some of that livestock will not be happy w/ 6000's going (and there's always the sand).

Another alternative is a wavebox (stream in a cage) - about $500 & would work very well in a 6' tank.

Also......TAAM is supposed to be coming out with controlable Seios.....soon.

AND there's always the vortex from IceCap :lol: ......soon

I'm going to be going the Tunze Stream route setting up my 75. They are a bit expensive but you can crank out some real big flow. A pair of 6060s pointed at each other would be over 3,000 gallons/hour then add in your current Mag 9s. 260 for the pair. And they are rated for a mere 11 watts so very little heat added to the system overall.

edit: Erik done stoled my thunder!

Lee,

Thanks for the input.  I did have 4 maxijet 1200 on a red sea wavemaker but the maxijets are worthless and clogged up and died within 6 months or so.  I am down to 1 working maxijet now and would rather not go that route again because I am wasting money when the impellers break all the time.

52523[/snapback]

And don't forget - the magnets, another cost. The supplied mounts aren't great, they're really a PITA to put together & don't hold all that well. The magnets are great, clamp & go anywhere.

HMMM- I have all four of my maxijets still running after two years. I have two on each side attached to a plexiglass strip that hangs down from the overflow box- you can not even see they are there. I pull one side up at a time and clean up about every 6-7 months. I will find one stopped sometimes, but they always clean up and go again- I have never broken an impellar or magnate on them- My experiece has been that the Maxijets are the most bullet proof of the submerible pumps that I have played with. My maxis are really there to keep me from having dead spots behind the rockwork. The SEO is for flow.

It is rather constant like the Erik, et al have said.

My experiece has been that the Maxijets are the most bullet proof of the submerible pumps that I have played with

Same here, I've had bunches over the years & I've exactly one fail - the impeller magnet cracked in 1/2. I don't think there's a pump on the market that's perfect, but Maxis are pretty reliable (as are Tunze - but they have some issues too).

I would recommend the SEIOs. For a 5' tank you should definately go with 2 2600s. I had 2 1500s on my 120 and I loved them. There is a mod out there that allows you to use the hang-on mount to mount them Tunze style so you don't have to deal with suction cups. Once I get my 65g setup I'm getting 2 820s to go in it. The only issue with the SEIOs is the restart after a power outage (TAAM says it's a problem with the impeller) but TAAM is very good about customer service when it comes to that. IMHO

Thank you everyone for there input. I will probably go with a couple of Seios for now. Yeah I know, cheap fix.

regarding the maxijets breaking. My impeller would always break away from the magnet. It happened to all 4 of the 1200's I was using. I used them on a red sea pro wavemaker. So I do not really know what happened to them.

M2600 2600gph/10000lph 8.27" x 3.15" x 4.13"/21cm x 8cm x 10.5cm 55W

these things are 8 inches long!!!! that is huge!!! where could I put them so the are somewhat out of sight. I see that they can be mounted vertical or horizontal. If I mount them vertical can 1/3 of the 8 inches be out of the water? From the picture it looks like the water intake is in the middle. Is there even a mounting option for this.

Also where would I put these, in each corner pointed toward the center? I dont know if the toadstool would like all that flow on him? I would be adding 5200 gph to the system. so total turn over would be 60 for the entire tank. Is this overkill?

Someone else could probably be more helpful but I'd wager with a sugar fine substrate and 60x turn over you'd likely have a sand storm on your hands.

Also, there's a mod to set those SEIOs tunze style so they'll only stick into the tank 6 inches or so which should help. I believe that length that is quoted is *with* the directional nozzle attached. It shortens it considerably when you remove it.

mod

discordja,

I was thinking the same thing about the sand and a 60x turn over. I calculated this correctly?

2 9.5 mags= 2x950gph=~1900gph

2 2600 seios=2x2600gph=5200gph

(1900+5200)/125g=56.8 gallons turn over per hour

the mags are in the sump so they have some head loss around 4 feet but I thought they were 950gph at 4 feet rated.

ps. thanks for the link to the mod!!

Ya that math checks, tho you may need to decrease the gph calculation on your MAGs. I think the head at 4' is 800 of the available 950. It's still going to be well over 50x.

discordja,

I was thinking the same thing about the sand and a 60x turn over. I calculated this correctly?

2 9.5 mags= 2x950gph=~1900gph

2 2600 seios=2x2600gph=5200gph

(1900+5200)/125g=56.8 gallons turn over per hour

the mags are in the sump so they have some head loss around 4 feet but I thought they were 950gph at 4 feet rated.

ps. thanks for the link to the mod!!

52645[/snapback]

So I guess the real question is what will I benefit from upgrading my flow? The only flow in the tank is from my 2 mag 9.5's and a winky maxijet 1200. This gives the tank around 15x gallons an hour. All my corals are fine with this rate. My sps are growing faster than they ever have and the color is better than ever. so.....what will increasing the flow to ~55x gallons an our do to the system? That is a 3.5 fold increase in flow. Thats alot. :blink:

that is huge!!!

Come over, I'll show ya huge.....Tunze ain't even in the ball park of small.

I concur, if you want constant flow then Seio is the way, w/o a controller Tunze's are just high priced Seios (IMHO).

.......plus.....you can actually use the mounts that come with them :D

60X? Not overkill, but tough w/o sand blowing.