New Wamas Member, First 20 gallon Nano Reef

(edited)

Hi I'm new to WAMAS, I was a member for about a year (expired in '13) and I've never posted here or been to any events because of other things in my life. Anyway I just wanted to post my first SW tank. This my office/work tank which is located in a public indoor pool in Northen Virginia (http://www.apsva.us/Page/16657). I had a ton of extra equipment lying around for my WIP 110gal home tank that I got off craigslist and not much else to do with it but try and do something with it. So here goes

kXeAqRK.jpg

6qZKSxq.jpg

An older view of what it looked like 2 months ago.

LtTtzYZ.jpg

nBBkHVY.jpg

Equipment

• 1 Ecotech Radion Pro Gen 3
  • 1 Jabeo Mp10 power head wavemaker (cheap and gets the job done
  • 1 Marineland HOB bio-wheel filter, Kinda worthless but it's a good place out of sight to put one of bag of chemipure elite carbon/GFO media which I change out every 2 months and helps to add some flow.
  • 1 TUNZE 9002 in-tank protein skimmer good skimmer as far as I see, but has clugy adjustment.

There is no heater, the HVAC system keeps the tank exactly at 81-79 degrees. I'm more concerned with over heating because of it's small size and the high humidity in the area (an indoor swiming pool).

Livestock

• 3 Blue/green Cromies
  • 1 green torch coral
  • 1 somewhat bleached out torch coral (top right)
  • 1 Sand sifting sea star
  • 1 turbo snail
  • a few zoas on a rock
  • Some GSP's
  • 1 peppermint shrimp
  • 3 other smaller snails (donno what the exact species is)
  • a few blue legged hermits
  • 1 sand conch
  • a sps frag that was randomly given to be by a patron (no clue on the ID)
  • a few zoas on a rock
  • a Kenya tree softy ( Was given to me from the tank in a suba store called "The Dive Shop" in Vienna)

Maintence

I do a roughly 15-10% waterchange every week on a monday, which is basicly 1/2 of one of those home depot buckets. I alternate feedings between a pinch of high quality pelets and 1/4 cube of frozen mysis shrimp once a day. Alkalinity and Calcium is maintained with regular dosing of B-ionic.

BRS was kind enough to send a free bottle of Zeo Coral snow and Coral vitalizer. Which I dose every night. I'm not sure how it really works (or if it's doing anything) other then making my skimmer more efficent and perhaps adding some kinda carbon. However the coral vitalizer smells like vinigar which makes me really skeptical on it's worth.

Edited by Vayeate

So you just had a gen 3 radion lying around? Looks great! Thanks for starting a build thread! I really like the Tonga Rock!

@ Incredible Corals, yes infact I bought the torch (the one that unfortunately bleached out on me) and one brain frag I forgot to mention which doing fine.

I should've acclimated the torch a little longer. Anyway its fine and growing but it's easy to underestimate how strong high end LEDs are.

I'm dealing with a hair algae problem. It hasn't reached plague proportions as of yet but it has the potential. Should I cut back feedings to every other day and switch fully to frozen? Also is a 5gallon waterchange every week too little or too much?

I'd cut back feeding..and make sure to pre-rinse your frozen food...

Also upping water changes won't hurt...especially after you scrub to remove the algae, do an extra w/c right after...

I also have a Tunze. 9002 that I can't dial in (feast or famine), however there are videos on a fairly simple mod. that apparently fixes that. Google "tunze 9002 mod" for video or online instructions if interested. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but looks like it would make adjusting easier.

Also, the snow and other food your putting in there is probably adding to the issue...

I don't think it's the coral snow. From what I understand it's a binder that adhears to organic particulates and helps to make the skimmer more efficient. I aways rinse my frozen food, I use 1/2 cube of the mini-mysis shrimp. I feed once a day, alternating between a tiny pinch of the pellets and 1/2 defrosted mysis the next day. Should I feed only every other day? only frozen for now on?