Outfitting a horse tank.

fishface

Can anyone suggest places to buy Seagrass or Turtlegrass or other items for Horses? I see it only in a few places, and the price varies wildly.

Anyone interested in splitting an order?

I saw the recent post on the horse tank, and I hope that you can make some recomendations.

Thanks All,

FF

The only places I have found with turtle grass are www.floridapets.com and www.billsreef.com. Florida Pets has the most consistent availability. I just got a shipment a few weeks ago, otherwise I would have loved to split an order.

Thanks everyone! You know, if I could remember 1/2 of all the sites I've been too, or at least find the bookmark for it, I'd be a happy guy.

I was rattling my brain for hours. And a search for Florida Macroalgae gave me articles, not stores.

Anyway, who's game for pooling an order? Each site has items of interest. The Floridapets site has coraline clusters, something that I was interested in way before seahorses came aboard. Seahorse farms (thanks Larry-T!) has Oysters and mangrove clams. The macro is too expensive there though.

But Bills' stuff is nearly all aquacultured. I think his site shows greater dedication because he cultures it, rather than just collecting it. I believe the price difference on the Macro, etc is fair and worth it.

Also, he has aquacultured an Ostrich Plume http://billsreef.safeshopper.com/39/188.htm?863 (they spelled it plum). A photosynthetic Gorg, different to the seawhip. And Sea rod.

http://billsreef.safeshopper.com/29/5.htm?487 -for kelp

And this is also good for horses to hitch to http://billsreef.safeshopper.com/29/69.htm?487

I imagine this is like the FloridaPets "Sea Cactus" -what do you think?

And he has kelp. I'd certainly like that in my tanks!! We may pool orders to both places, and therefore can pick and choose. I collected the pricing from Bill's and FloridaPets. I prefer Bills', but he does not carry calcerous plants which some people may want.

I hope this helps, rather than making this a large and confusing post. Also, no items have been checked for availablility.

Bills'

Sea Grass $4.99

6 Pack of Sea Grasses $14.99

12 Pack of Sea Grasses $24.99

24 Pack of Sea Grasses $39.99

Spartina Grass $2.99

1 Lb. Sea Lettuce $24.99

1 Lb. Gracilaria $24.99

1 Lb. Kelp $24.99

1 Lb. Brown Branch Kelp $24.99

1 Lb. Assorted Algaes $24.99

Codium $9.99

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FloridaPets

Caulerpa is sold @ $12.49 per pound.

Gracilaria $9.99/Bunch

Turtle Grass PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL FOR AVAILABILITY!

$2.99/ea.plant $15.00/6 plants

Shoal Grass $10.49 for 6 plants $19.49/12 plants

Manatee grass $5.49 for 3 plants $10.50/6 plants

Caulerpa Paspaloides $7.49 for two shoots Big leaf, really nice.

Shaving Brush Plant $5.50/ea. 3 for $15.00

Mermaid's Fan $5.50/ea. 3 for $15.00

Coraline algae cluster $5.49/ea

Codium Algae A very desirable macro algae- check first! $6.49/ea. 4"-6" piece

Burrowing Brittle Star -These stars are collected from under the sand. They just leave the ends of their long legs exposed during the day. At night they come out to forage the surface of the sand bed as well as finding morsels just below the surface. $5.49ea.

Ghost Shrimp $5.50/25 shrimp $ 10.00/50 shrimp

These shrimp are an excellent food source for just about everything you have. These are saltwater shrimp and will live and reproduce in saltwater. Many of these shrimp collected are carrying hundreds of eggs beneath their abdomens. These shrimp are not prolific breeders though. The baby shrimp feed tiny seahorses and manderine fish. They are used best to feed large fish as they do consume a lot of pods.

We may require extra shipping money for orders of more than 50 as water is heavy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bemmer

I'm not quite ready yet but I am going to tag along on this thread for the info you provided. Thanks.