IM Spin stream question on IM 8 gal

harticus5

HI, 

I recently upgraded the smallest of my 3 tanks. Went with the IM 8.....already upgraded media basket, and pump. Running CPE, Purigen, and filter floss.

The pump I am using is the Hydor Pico Evolution 300gph (stock 92gpm). Anyways, pump works great with stock return nozzle. Soon as I add Spin stream, I swear the return power drops 50%!!

Anyone have any advice they can give? 

I could deal with the larger size of the spin stream, or the loud noise the spin stream puts out, as I was expecting from reviews........however the power loss seems to be to much of an issue.

I don't know much about the internal workings or you pump but it sounds like it doesn't like the backpressure created by the machanics.  The spin stream doesn't have very good reviews by the few that I read.

Can you take it back?

Maybe upgrade the pump?  I googled a little, and read the MJ 900 will fit in the back chamber.  I also read the Eheim 600 will fit.

I upgraded my IM16 to two Eheim 600's, quiet and great flow.  They are also flow adjustable.   

Thanks for chiming in.  I am hesitant to upgrade the pump again, as I am already about 4x times over the power of the stock pump (even though stock pump is way under powered). I also have the finest grade white sand, so I definitely do not want the sand to stir up.

Yes, I always could return, I suppose after shipping I would get about $20-25 back of the $30 I paid.

I do have a Hydorflo laying around, which I could try.

For the moment, looks like I will be sticking with stock return nozzle.

Thanks again,

ps......my current pump that I already upgraded is rated at 300gph..................so going to the Eheim 600 @ 160gph would be even a lot less power.

Edited by harticus5