I'm depressed

jefftse

Were you running the tanks in hypo or low SG? If it was MV, that actually multiplies faster in brackish water. Low SG treatments should only be done for ich since it does nothing but make things worse for MV.

I now it would be more equipment and work but having each 40GB as a seperate system would prevent a total crash like this. Better to lose one tank than all four.

I agree, copper has a broad kill range and can act fast to break the cycle.

Kick-ich is not a good QT med. If ich has made it into your reef tank then it is an option but doesn't always work. The product label says it is safe for "corals, invertebrates and macro algae, as well as the facultative anaerobes and nitrifying bacteria essential to biologic filtration." That tells me it isn't going to have broad kill on the stuff you need to wipe out during QT.

I normally do Prazi for two days, water change, and then run copper for two weeks. I use Cupramine because it is safer than other coppers but you have to make sure not to mix it with the Prazi or other chemicals that can break Cupramine's bond and make it very toxic.

Formalin/malacite green is an alternative to copper. Some things to remember with copper, formalin, or malacite is that it suppresses the bio filter so you have to watch ammonia daily and perform water changes as needed.

how much water change do you do after prazi?

how much water change do you do after prazi?

My QT is a 75g with a 30g sump and I normally do about a 50% water change. I take the water from my DT for the QT and put new water into the DT. Prazi breaks down in a couple days so you don't have to get it all out or really do a change at all. I do it to refresh the water quality before starting the copper treatment. Just start the copper low and step it up.