Floris Reef Tank

davelin315

Just before break we finally set up the reef that was donated by ErikS. It's in a 6th grade classroom and has sand in it from Nathan's tank. I have the rock at home still as I'm waiting for the tank to go through a mini-cycle, and it's a good thing, too. Over winter break the sump went completely dry as it evaporated almost 5 gallons over the course of a few days. It's amazing how hot it must have been in the classroom. Anyway, came back to a dry sump, a very hot pump, and a lot of cyanobacteria growing in the tank on the sandbed. I got it up and running again on Tuesday and today I added the small skimmer that Erik included with the set up. I'll try and get a picture of the "cycle" as it occurs, but I saw a bunch of bristle worms in the sand today as I stirred it up so I'm thinking that it's probably OK and nothing to worry about. I'll test water and hopefully be able to add the rock and some clean up critters next week.

I also added some chaetomorphia from the 33 gallon tank in my room today in order to help with the nutrients. I'm struggling to get the RO/DI I bought for the school running correctly (I think the filters are a bit older than advertised, the same system that is being sold on E-Bay that people have complained of getting used filters with - I bought it second hand so I'm pretty sure both of us were duped), so I used tap water, so eventually it'll be time for a wholesale water change before livestock is added. Anyway, I'll snap pictures when I can!