Running without power -automatically

sen5241b

Keeping flow going during a power outage is not that difficult. An auto inverters can keep a small pump going. They trick is having something produce flow and heat automatically if you are not home. Generators require someone to be home and turn the thing on. Vortech has a battery-backup pump (auto-on when no power) and you can also get battery backup air pumps.  I wondering if I can run a 100 watt or more heater off a deep-cycle marine battery? If so how can you switch it on when the power goes off?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/vortech-battery-backup?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c249321

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-air-pumps/11442-521365/silent-air-b11-auto-on-battery-powered-air-pump.html

Edited by sen5241b

There are plans out there which involve switches and relays. Basically everything is plugged in and runs the devices and charges the marine battery. When pore is lost it automatically switches (like those battery operated air pumps) to the marine battery.

Now, whether you can rig it up so the same devices can be controlled by the apex as well as such a backup setup is another thing.

Deep cycle batteries are rated in AMP/Hrs.  The ones I have for my boat are ~500 Amp/Hrs.  This means theoretically it can deliver 500 amps for 1 hr or 1 amp for 500 hrs.  This is not true in practice for a meriad of factors, but close enough.  Also keep in mind this is 12volts DC.  So again theoretically this gives you 12 Watts that could be drawn per hr for 500 hrs or 6000W for 1hr (P=IE).  You will lose efficiency in the conversion from 12V DC to 120V AC that is dependant on the inverter.  Let's assume that everything is 100% efficient.  Assuming that you should be able to run a 100W heater for 60hrs on a fully charged battery. 

Setting up the system to work automatically when power is on and off can be accomplished by using a simple normally open relay (NO).  I have seen simple circuit diagrams on reefcentral that show how to do this.  It will require that your battery and inverter be hooked up at all times and you will need a  battery charger as well.