Bio Pellet reactor

paul b

A few months ago, maybe 6 I forget, I built a bio pellet reactor just for an experiment. My nitrates at that time were about 40. I just tested it and now they are at 10. So if you care about that sort of thing one of these may help. I think my reef looked healthier when the nitrates were closer to 40 and I want to get them back to about 20 by overfeeding. I lost a few heads on my torch corals and about a quarter of my gorgonians died. I also can't find an elephant ear coral as I went to Hawaii for 12 days so I don't know where it is. But the microscope life was definitely more abundant with the higher nitrates. The experiment was a success, but the effects are not so good. I will remove about half the pellets to see if I can raise the nitrates a little.

2013-08-01150519_zps9833d03a.jpg

Edited by paul b

I like that! Do you have plans for it?

(edited)

Do you have plans for it?

Yes I do.  Print that picture and tint it slightly blue, that is the plan.  I design and build these things out of my unconsious mind and when I get a whim, I build them.   :rolleyes: Here is an audio/visual video of it as I was testing it as a prototype.  Now I got the bugs worked out.  It feeds my skimmer

th_2013-08-06084718_zps457d4d41.jpg  :cool:

Edited by paul b

I like what the pellets did for my tank.  But its curious that we over feed in order to offset too much of a good thing.  I think the version of the reactor that allows for effluent control w/o decreasing the tumble in the chamber might be the way to go.

I like things the old fashioned way. Lots of algae and green in the fuge. Takes care of it all.

(edited)

I like things the old fashioned way. Lots of algae and green in the fuge. Takes care of it all.

So do I and I have that.  This is just an experiment.  I like building things and I saw one of these in a LFS and found it interesting.  Now that I know it works, I may take it apart and make a toaster or can opener out of it.

My old wet dry is now a chiller and I don't need that any more so maybe I will turn that into a blender.

You can see it in the corner of my workbench.

My workshop is well equipped and I could build a space shuttle in there, but it would have to be a very small space shuttle only capable of maybe making it to Bayone New Jersey.

2013-10-29023833_zpsb89543da.jpg

Edited by paul b