RODI and drinking water system

Pants

My current RODI system caused a little flood a few days ago and I started looking at parts to fix it up and upgrade it and realized I could buy an all new system for just a bit more. I hate the acrylic on the current unit (its a huge pain to open and close when replacing filters) so I getting rid of it seems a good idea.

So I was looking at BRS since WAMAS does frequent group buys and wanted to ask about this unit:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-stage-drinking-reef-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

It is a standrad 5 stage RODI system with some extras to use it for drinking water as well (also has a tds meter and flush system which I had been wanting to add to my current unit). 

My main question is whether it breaks off the water for drinking early on or is the drinking water the same as the reef water. It mentions a "Omnipure Inline carbon block" for the drinking water part does that mean the drinking water is only cleaned by this extra carbon block making it just like a brita filter? I just thought the water out the very end would be so pure it wouldn't taste very good (like drinking distilled) but if it only goes through a carbon filter then its actually doing a pretty poor job cleaning the water.

Beyond that I was just curious about people's experience with BRS systems. How easy is it to change filters when it is time? How are the fittings (water is leaking in my current unit)? Is the wrench provided sized properly or ever get stuck on? If you have an RODI system installed somewhere like your kitchen (where I plan to install this) where it is impractical to have a huge water container always full how do you handle water changes?

If you are having trouble getting the housings on and off, my guess is that you have never lubricated the housing orings.  You should be using a food-grade silicone grease to lube them each time you change your filters.  

Tighten the housings by hand, and may just an 1/8 of a turn with the wrench if necessary.  If they still leak then you need new orings.  If the orings are lubed the housings will be easy to remove.  Don't forget to relieve the pressure in the system before you try to remove housings.

Russ

I bought the current unit used and replaced the O-rings at that time (they were missing). I used a spray on lubricant that first time but haven't since. I've been tightening them so much because they leak if I don't. The thing has at least a slow leak at every single point where a connection is made. One of these turned into a fast leak the other night and caused the flood. The pressure gauge is broken so I don't know how all these leaks are affecting the pressure. 

I saw the BFS system on Mr Saltwater tank. is the drinking water component of it like Jason describes his Water General? Also looking for a TDS meter (in/out) and it looks like BFS is missing that but has an auto shutoff that the BRS unit lacks.

A decent TDS meter can be had on eBay for a few bucks, so that shouldn't be a real downside if you are deciding between two units. I would love to have an auto shutoff... I constantly flood my bathroom when making RO water.