Kessil A150W for 120?

Ben A

I was thinking of replacing my MH lights with a pair of 15000K Kessil A150Ws. I have a 120 gallon (4x2x2), and I was wondering if two would be enough for LPS and soft corals, or should I get three? When I want to start adding SPS, would I need to add a third/fourth? Is 15000K the color I want for overall coral growth and color, or would 10000K be better?

Thanks

I used to have two a150's on my 56g column (30"x18"x24") and I would suggest three for a tank that size.  With that said, have you looked into the Evergrow d120's? Or better yet, the IT Series?

I like the idea of a single evergrow IT2080 or two d120s, I just missed the group buy... joined wamas last week. I found a decent deal on new A150W which is why I was thinking of getting them. Without the group buy price, it would work out to be about the same cost to buy 3 kessils. I've also thought about getting 2 120W BridgeLux lights of one Photon48 light set from ReefBreeders, I believe these are the same as the evergrow lights?

I like the idea of a single evergrow IT2080 or two d120s, I just missed the group buy... joined wamas last week. I found a decent deal on new A150W which is why I was thinking of getting them. Without the group buy price, it would work out to be about the same cost to buy 3 kessils. I've also thought about getting 2 120W BridgeLux lights of one Photon48 light set from ReefBreeders, I believe these are the same as the evergrow lights?

I got the 48" Photon. It is pretty beast for a 4 ft tank.

Correct, the reefbreeder lights are rebranded from evergrow.  The biggest reason to look at the evergrows over the 150's is the ability to control the intensity of both your blue and white channels.  Marco (monkiboy) is constantly setting up new buying opportunities, so if you're not in a rush, I'm sure you'd get another chance to buy them.

I guess the question is, should I wait for a group buy to pick up a IT2080, or should I buy a Photon48 which is 48" vs 36"? Are the standard light builds decent, or should I create my own light setup?

Thanks

I guess the question is, should I wait for a group buy to pick up a IT2080, or should I buy a Photon48 which is 48" vs 36"? Are the standard light builds decent, or should I create my own light setup?

Thanks

I can't comment on the Photon48, as I only have an IT2060 and a d120.

(edited)

No matter what anyone says, you can't use a 36" light on a 4ft tank without serious shading issues. You need two 16" or 24" for that tank, or better yet, what I did, the 48" Photon. And at under $500, it's cheaper than 2 of the Evergrow's unless you're going with the D120's.

Edited by Djplus1

Have you had good success with the Photon48? Did you use there premade light arrangement or did you make your own?

Have you had good success with the Photon48? Did you use there premade light arrangement or did you make your own?

Honestly the light just came out within the last 2 months, and I've only had mine for 2-3 weeks, so success is hard to gauge at this point, from anyone concerning this light. I would compare what people say about any other reefbreeders/evergrow fixture and assume better coverage with the 48" photon. I did opt for the stock light arrangement and the 90 optics. I'm no wiz at light spectrum and the more I read, the more I assumed that reefbreeder's research was probably good enough for me.