Dead Cheato caused Nitrate spike!!

rebekwl

So, I got some cheato some time back with the intention of buying a light to care for it, long story short.. It died and completely dissolved into the sysem, I found my nitrates over 80ppm!! preformed 2 water changes and still no effect? Upon further digging, I realized that the pump for my carbon reactor was in the the return chamber Downstream of the Now dissolved cheato, and had sucked it up and stored it in the reactor chamber.. So everytime I did a water change it was dosing the tank with Nitrates!! I removed it cleaned it up and put in new carbon. We are now down to 40ppm overnight, I will do another water change today.. Good news!! Death toll so far = 0.. Anyone ever heard of cheato doing this? I know that it is a living microalgae and anything that dies can produce nitrates right?

I've seen chaeto white out and release some nitrates....but never completely dissolve....that a new one for me....

Could it be that I never got the light? It was over a month ago.

Yeah, but also that you have very low nutrients, atleast not enough to sustain growth...

That's about the only thing I know about macros, you need nutrients, light and flow....