Upgrade - Vega or Hydra..........

ErikS

Since I am no LED expert I thought I'd get some better opinions.

Upgrading to either the Vega or Hydra..............just can't decide which. On the surface the Vega seems like the better option, it is the more advanced unit................but the Hydra seems like it will meet my needs & save a few $$$$ (that would be very few, like $60 for the whole upgrade).

I have been satisfied with my SOLs, while they may not have given the brightest colors they reliable, quiet, and growth was fine. Odds are very low I'll be messing with custom pucks...........though it might provide a cheaper upgrade in the future.

Leaning Vega but the Hydra seems to fit the bill also.

I did notice that the Vega upgrade has violet while the factory version does not.........hmmmm

Thanks

(not intended to be a brand versus brand thread - just of the two upgrades)

(edited)

You could swing by here I have 4 of the vega color's over my 220 if you want to take a look at them.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer...........after further pondering I think I'm asking a question that can't be answered - I mean who the heck would have both to compare? :laugh: And I'll fess up, I've followed your build thread.....nice to see the setup & coming back after the incident

Question though - I understand the wireless controller needs to be plugged in to work & if not lights stay in current state................what happens after a power failure? I'm thinking of the time - the old controller had some form of battery backup to keep the time = it would just comeback t life & start right where if left off.

Not a big deal in small failures but if one had a multi hour outage it could mess up some automation (fish feeding springs to mind).

As I said I'm leaning Vega as it gives the most options....and if the SOLs worked they'd be nothing but better, price is only $20 per unit more for Vega. Edited by ErikS

Yes their wireless controller is not the best thing in the world.  It needs to be plugged into an outlet all the time for some reason.  I have had to reset my lights to the controller once due to a power outage.  I wasnt at work so I dont know if it was just a flash or out for a couple minutes so I dont know if there is a small delay before the lights lose contact with the controller.

But there is also the AI director I think it might be a better option that the current controller but I have not looked into it much as I am content with my setup and dont see a need for me to spend more on them.

Cant you do an upgrade from the SOL to the Vega w/o having to buy new lights?

And thanks for following the build.  I like this tank 100x more than the last one and I think its starting to really take off, finally getting to the point where the water quality is very stable and coralline and the corals are taking off.

But there is also the AI director I think it might be a better option that the current controller but I have not looked into it much as I am content with my setup and dont see a need for me to spend more on them.

Cant you do an upgrade from the SOL to the Vega w/o having to buy new lights?

Guess I'm hoping the director comes along pretty soon - faster than it took the Vega to come to market anyway. :laugh:

Well AI calls it an upgrade......but near as I can tell it's keep the heatsink & bolt on all new parts. I mean it's the mainboard, lights, plastic shroud, and power supply (mine is older). Still comes to about 1/2 what new lights would cost - very nice of AI to give an upgrade path.