dosing vitamin c?

jimlin

thinking about dosing magnesium ascorbate powder and looking for any input.

setup

75 gallon tank

20 gallon sump

just ordered a avast cs1 skimmer

currently using biopellet

2 kessil a150

2 mp10 set on nutrient export mode

weekly water change 28 gallon (natural seawater)

would dosing help my current setup or would i not benefit from it at all?

I've dosed Vitamin C in the past and it seemed to help (I wasn't using biopellets at the time). There's a ginormous thread on Reef Central about it. They recommend a pharmaceutical grade product from NutiBiotic - it's buffered to pH 7 so it doesn't mess with your tank's balance, and it is pretty economical. You might want to give it a shot - you're not going to hurt anything.

Why do you think you need to dose it? You didn't give any reasons so it is hard to give advice on whether or not you should dose it. I think you are already doing much larger than needed water changes and that should be balancing everything out.

because i will most likely only be able to keep zoas for the next several years i did a lot of reading on zoas and while reading i always come across people who brought their zoas back to health by dosing vitamin c. i am not in a position where my zoas are half dead. they are all doing great, all open and starting to color up nicely possibly from the combination of natural sunlight/kessil light and natural sea water but i am not sure. dosing vitamin c from what i read will make the zoas grow a lot faster and color up so i dont see any negatives for me to try it.

also my fish is currently going through medical issues. at first i thought it was ick because i seen white dots on both clown fishes. the white dots were mostly on the fins and towards the gill areas. i turned on my uv sterilizer and waited to see if the fish can fight it off on its own. as time went by, the white dots got bigger looking like giant pimples and i dont see typical scraping on rocks, flashing, heavy breathing from the fishes that i typically saw from my freshwater fishes. also the hippo tang in my tank did not have any white dots on it. upon more research, it may be a kind of virus. i was hoping the vitamin c would also help build the immune system of the fish in my system and prevent future diseases.

We are starting to use selcon added in to both our fish and coral foods.

It has a variety of vitamins in it I believe and came highly recommended.