What in the world is this the black bug...??

It is a whelk (sp?).  I haven't seen a black one before, but mine are harmless.  They are a good part of your CUC (clean up crew).

That is not a whelk. That is a black stomatella snail. Reef safe and great part of clean up crew. Whelks are never good for your reef tank. they are cone shaped and usually fuzzy.

Ok, I thought it looked like a snail but im relieves to hear it is reef safe.

Ive seen three in the tank. ;-)

I got one stomatella snail when i purchased some coral from someone. It has been about 3 months since i received him and he has now made several babies all over my tank and their population is growing quick. Funny to watch them spawn, he will climb up to the highest rock in the tank and then start spreading a thick white mucus into the water column. When they are very very very young they look like Astraea snails but as they get older their shells begin to flatten out. If they have no predators they can most certainly spawn successfully.

(edited)

It is a whelk (sp?).  I haven't seen a black one before, but mine are harmless.  They are a good part of your CUC (clean up crew).

That is not a whelk. That is a black stomatella snail. Reef safe and great part of clean up crew. Whelks are never good for your reef tank. they are cone shaped and usually fuzzy.

I got one stomatella snail when i purchased some coral from someone. It has been about 3 months since i received him and he has now made several babies all over my tank and their population is growing quick. Funny to watch them spawn, he will climb up to the highest rock in the tank and then start spreading a thick white mucus into the water column. When they are very very very young they look like Astraea snails but as they get older their shells begin to flatten out. If they have no predators they can most certainly spawn successfully.

Okay thank you very much.  That's how I got a hold of them.  After all this time they finally came out of the LR lol.

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX