What is this?

Our orange shoulder tang recently discolored a little bit, and we don't think that it is stress. He has a bulge on his side, and we don't know what it is. He has had a cut on his head before, but it doesn't look like this. Any suggestions? He is about 4 inches long, and we have had him for almost a month. post-2633258-136382749209_thumb.jpg

Thanks, jack and Toni

post-2633258-136382743732_thumb.jpg

problem with that is other fish can be affected and infected... he needs medication and you should not do it in the DT....though Im not sure if a Freshwater Dip would be okay but it may help??? Im sure Rob or someone else with more experience will interject... ive not had a fish with this yet...

It could be a fluke but I'm not sure. It looks like a skin irritation caused by something else, maybe an anemone or coral sting, maybe fighting with another fish, or maybe an abrasion from a rock. You said he had a previous cut, what other fish do you have in with him? I would just observe for now if he is eating fine and acting normal.

He is a very active fish still. Shows absolutely no signs of illness. Darts through tunnels and rock work. He eats like a pig. We are starting to think it is an abrasion from going under the rock on his side too quickly. It is now a flat greyish patch.

Thanks so much for your input!

Also, he is so fast and elusive that I would completely destroy my tank trying to get him out!! The other fish would lose it too!

We have 7 chromis, 1 black Nemo, coral beauty, royal gramma, a 1" Dory!