Nano Fuge?

Orion

Would it be worth it to set up a small fuge in my IM Nuvo 8 gallon? What would be the benefits, and what would you put in there?

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Innovative-Marine-8-Fuge-Basket-IM8FG.htm

Right now I change half the water once a week, and all the corals (mix of SPS/LPS) are doing fine. No algae problems right now except for some diatoms that show up on the glass.

Yes -- why not? You could grow macro algae in the basket compartment and have a haven for microfauna.

I have a similar product for my JBJ 29g. In mine I have my mechanical filter, chaeto and a bag of carbon:gfo mix (2:1).

I light my cheato with a JBJ nano glo.

Thanks for the input. I currently have some filter floss, purigen, and chemi-pure elite in my media basket. What kind of macro algae would everyone recommend?

I also read that you run a reverse light cycle, is this correct?

In that small space cheato does best. Be sure to prune and fluff it when you do a water change or else it will get compact and die.

The reverse light cycle is ideal because it will keep oxygen and pH levels steady for the full 24 hour photoperiod. It is not strict however and there can be overlap. I have my light on for 12 hours.

The only no-no is constant light. While some people have light on for 24 hours and everything is cool, there is plenty of science that shows that the machinery that utilizes photosynthesis needs some down time.

In that small space cheato does best. Be sure to prune and fluff it when you do a water change or else it will get compact and die.

The reverse light cycle is ideal because it will keep oxygen and pH levels steady for the full 24 hour photoperiod. It is not strict however and there can be overlap. I have my light on for 12 hours.

The only no-no is constant light. While some people have light on for 24 hours and everything is cool, there is plenty of science that shows that the machinery that utilizes photosynthesis needs some down time.

How much cheato? A small handful to start?