Slimer frag losing flesh around middle?

Tink

Hey folks, have an SPS question. I have a frag of Green Slimer (have had it about 2 months now), that as of this morning is losing some of its flesh around the middle of the frag. The loss seems to go 2/3 of the way around the middle portion of the frag. All the other corals (other species of SPS included), seem to be doing just fine (all have polyp extension). The odd part is that all the polyps are out on this slimer frag (with the exception of those that are now missing of course). The frag does sit in the direct path of my MP10, but it has for the entire time I've had it.

Here are my parameters as of this AM:

- Salinity 1.026

- PO4 0.06

- NO3 0

- KH 10.5

- pH 8

- Ca 480

- Mg 1300

As for tank residents:

- Yellow Tang

- Tomni Tang

- Red Tip Anthias

- 2 Ocellaris Clowns

- 2 Cleaner Shrimp

- 1 Fire Shrimp

- various snails and hermits

Any ideas on why it would begin to lose it's flesh around the middle? Should I move it from the flow (is this blowing on the wonded portion making things worse)?

Here are a couple pictures (sorry the second one is so bad, it's a cell camera and I was just trying to show how the loss continues to extend around the frag)

photo 1

photo 2

Yeah, looks like a sting to me...Euphyllias can release heads as a way of reproduction and some times they land on SPS and give it a nice sting.

THAT, I never knew. Yes, there is a hammer down and to it's right. Now that I think about it, the gold torch much farther to it's left was excreting some of that brown junk from its mouth yesterday. I thought it was poo though, could that have been the source of the sting?

Here's a quick (blurry again, I'm sorry) shot of that portion of the tank, so you can see the separation of the corals

photo

(edited)

Is that a torch? The slimer is well within reach of the torch sweepers. Try moving the torch on to the sand bed and see of the slimer starts to get better.

Edited by steveoutlaw

Yes, the one to the left is a gold torch. I'll move him farther away to be safe.

Thanks everyone for the help, I've learned some new things for sure

I was giving it a closer look now that the lights are on, and I think I've figured it out. Looks like something must have been shot out the mo10, and wrapped around the frag. The only portion in that middle band that's ok, is the side opposite the MP10.

I'll keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse I'll just frag the top off.