CS-2 not performing as well as CS-1

steveoutlaw

Not sure what is going on here, but my CS-2 is not pulling as much skimmate as the CS-1. I've tried running the CS-2 both internally and externally. The water level on both is adjusted the same and the tank hasn't changed. The CS-1 would fill a small skimmate locker on almost a weekly basis. However, the CS-2 is only filling up the locker about 1/4 way in a week. Am I doing something wrong?

Steve, a few variables can affect this. Is the flow rate through the skimmer about the same? The CS2 has a slightly wider neck, so given equal water throughput and organic levels, it might collect less. You could try increasing the input flow rate. Are you noticing a decline in water quality?

Thanks Justin. I don't have a noticable change in water quality, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't happened. I am using the same pump (MJ1200) so the throughput is the same. The skimmer is skimming and I'm getting some nasty doo-doo in the neck of the skimmer, but the amount has decreased.

The consistency of the poo-poo looks about the same. I may just have to try closing off the exit valve a little for a bit wetter skim.

Not a knock on the skimmer at all........just trying to figure out what, if anything, I need to change.

• 2 weeks later...