Jawfish pearly vs blue spotted

Huly

I loved the pearly jawfish I had before my crash and I am planning on getting another but I am stuck on which to get. My pearly had an awesome personality and would play peak a boo with me. I adored it. I have heard the blue spot is the same and it does have better color but I also heard they can be harder to acclimate etc. What are the pros and cons of both? Are there differences?

As per our recent speaker (Matt Wandell), the blue spot is less tolerant to higher tank temps: if you tank runs 7& or less annual then go it, if not get another Pearly.

I have heard the same, that the blue-spotted is a colder water fish and doesn't do well in reef tank temperatures.

You probably already know this, but the pearly at least is a jumping fool and can aim for the tiniest opening in a top, it seems! Ask me how I know. :cry:

Maybe if you have a very large or tall tank it's not a problem, but if you don't have a mesh screen top already, I'd sure add a really tight one.

Good luck! Really great fish!

Kim H.

I've read that the blue spotted gets a disease called the blue spotted jawfish disease. Might want to research it before you decide. I hear they get real nasty, some explain it as if they are soaking up water like a sponge.

Look up a gold spectacled jawfish, I've had better luck with them than either the pearly or bluespot.

A dusky is ugly as all get out but can't be beat for personality.

Gotta say I LOVE my pearly headed jawfish...never had a problem wopith it jumping, but he has been scared out of its burrow and I can see how they can fly...

The blue spot likes cooler tanks, even I tend to keep my tank to warm at 76.....

Thanks! We have a Red Sea Max so it is fully enclosed. It looks like pearly might be the way to go.