Bullet Proof Zoa's

tarunteam

So, last month I went to India, for my brother wedding. We had entrusted my aquarium to my neighbor. Unfortunetly, my neighbor forgot to add top of water, while i was gone. So by the time i got back, the water was down to 1/2 of the level which is should be at. The salinity in the tank had skyrocketed, the ammonia, Nitrates, Phosphates, and what not were off the charts. Everything, including the fish seemed dead. However, on careful inspections, all my Zoa's somehow survived the entire process. All the apperent Apistaisa had died off. So my question was, has anyone had this experience with their Zoa's. Also, since im basiclly starting a new tank again, is it safe to use the zoa's again without worrying about Apistaisa showing up again, or should i just toss them?

sorry for your loss. always a good idea to get a buddy who is also into the hobby to maintain the tank while you are away for long periods. maybe investing in a ato would have helped in this situation in the future and a controller that will warn you if something is off with your readings. i would use the zoas again as well as the rocks. not sure if the bacteria on the rocks would survive something like this, but at least you are aptasia free.

What sort of zoa's? If they're the trash brown paly's that seem to be most bulletproof, I would trash them, they spread like crazy and are more of a pest (not to mention palytoxin). I also wouldn't be so sure all the aptasia is dead. Probably just closed up. If zoa's survived I would be shocked if the aptasia didn't turn up again too.

Yea, ended up trashing the Zoa's they were meh from the begining. For now im closing the 10 gallon tank at home and opening a 5 gal nano here. Im in the process of making a ATO, and should have it ready by this weekend. Im alos gonna probably end up making a Audrino controller for it eventually. As for the rock, i ended up soaking them in bleach, hydrogen peroxide for a couple of hours,, and then plain water for the entire week.