Who uses a AquaC EV-400?

ohaverd

Get a dc10000 it will pull around 70 watts on that skimmer and run it correctly.

There are different rebranded dc10000 pumps just coming out so the price should be dropping.

I don't use one now, but I did and it was my skimmer of choice from ~2000-2008. I used a Mag 18, which if I remember right was the recommended skimmer at the time. If you haven't swapped out the nozzle to a 1" (from 3/4"), you should.

Also if I remember right, it's more of a pressure issue with that skimmer than a flow rate issue since it works on the "thumb over garden hose" principle.

There's probably more up to date information on it, the customer service was always pretty good, I'd call and ask.

I ran one for a few years. A GenX Mak4 was the ideal pump. It was all about the pressure as Chad said. However, even with the perfect pump, it skimmed so inefficiently it could not keep up with my 90 gallon SPS tank.

Fact is everybody i have ever seen run a high flow skimmer[aqua-c/etss] just dont understand how to set them up.

They always raise the water level up instead of below the box.

Sadly the info you get from aqua-c or etss about there reccomended pumps is 10 year old info.

I can put a dc10000 on any etss or a large aqua-c and there is no neddlewheel that even comes close

they cant because they are just not high flow skimmers .

The waterblaster pumps would be my 2nd choice.

If you ran a AQUA-C 400 on a 90 and you ran it correctly it would only skim for half the time not because it isnt working

but because it is so good at stripping TOC from a small tank.

While i believe that a large beckett/etss is the top skimmer ever made i would use a large aqua-c before i would

ever use any type of neddlewheel.......unless i wanted poor skimming because i had a lps/chalice tank.

Ask yourself a simple question we have a real test from sanjays 500 gallon reef between a downdraft etss beckett and a

very large bubbleking.

We know that becketts like aqua-c shut down alot and a bubbleking just keeps on chuging along so if thats how you

judge a skimmer then why was the bubbleking so poor at removing TOC from sanjays tank.

post-1561-0-41159200-1360286151_thumb.jpg

post-1561-0-14014500-1360286214_thumb.jpg

Edited by basser9

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this thing running with a mag 24 for about 24 hours and talk about a beast... wow. Now I just gotta figure out how to lesson the fibration/noise from this big frickin pump, any thoughts? I was thinking cutting up some rubber tube and making a square for the pump to sit on.

At some point go to a DC10000 or one of its cousins you can hardly hear them

and 1/3 the watts of a big mag.

I feel i need to drill home the sanjay study because it the only real study on skimmers

and all the love for NEDDLEWHEELS is pure hype to me.........there.junk,

Never let facts get in the way of opinions.

Edited by basser9

So, I get the TOC facts regarding the Sanjay study.

Now, what I don't get is why lower TOC is better or even desirable.