canister set up

johnkeys

i just pick up a second tank its a 45 g bow the tank was to good of deal to pass up ....it came with a pretty good skimmer

50 lbs or so of live rock and way to much sand the light has to be replaced ... but they used a canister filter which i have never used ..

there's three trays in it may be 4 they have bio balls or something like that in two spots . and carbon in one or two of them. my question is can i break up live rock and use that in one spot or live sand .. and use a pure chem bags in th others . i know it sound crazy just dont have the money to set up a sump system right now .... or should i just run it like is for now

thanks john

I'm up and running will see how it works out..... I'm gone to take some pictures tonight

i didnt realize it had has blue backing on the tank im gone to have to fix that ..

Honestly there is no need to break up your rock to use as rubble in the filter. In fact the rubble would behave exactly the same as bio balls if used in the sump in that fashion. Bacteria do not care if they live on rock or plastic.

I would leave that chamber empty and leave the rock in the display.