diatom and brown Algaehow to get rid of it

linkfalcon

how to get rid of the diatom and brown algae I been vacant it off the sand bed once a week and 20 % water changss 1 a week and have 0 tds and a pho reactor and new t5 bulbs idk please help

How long has the tank been running?

How long have you been battling diatoms?

Is the brown algae a macroalgae, such as sargassum?

How often do you change the phosphate media?

Tell us about your clean-up crew. How many and type?

Diatoms require silicates to be present and is very common in new systems. Silicates can enter the tank via water changes or sand. Without knowing more about your system, I recommend the following:

1. Stop performing the weekly water changes to determine whether your source water is feeding the diatoms;

2. Consider changing the DI cartridge; and

3. Increase the clean-up crew.

it's a 120 tall 60 long. media is changed ever 2 months tanks been up running almost a yr I did fill the tank with a bad ro di unit so past 4 or 6 water changes are with a new rodi system and I have been adding sand this must be it maybe like 30 pounds over past 6 months

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure it's diatoms? Could be dino's. You have to really look at frags you buy from stores. Look for little clear air bubbles forming on the eggcrate and frags. Stores will oftem clean their tanks to not show algae or dinos if they have any in their system, but you have to be very careful because these will still transfer to your tank from the frag.

Edited by Amuze

• 3 weeks later...

If it is the brown crud on the sand, there are a couple things people told me that worked....

- Dont use a light on the fuge if you have one. Grows it in the fuge and transfers up to display tank.

- Lighten up or don't use phytoplankton supplements.

- Buy a diamond sleeper goby and it will keep the whole sand bed clean. I just got a 2-3 inch one and keeps whole sand bed clean an 85-inch long 265 gal display.

I actually did all of these but If I had to start with one would probably say get the sleeper goby.