Pictures

Rafal

Hi.

I'd like to know how you guys making yours tank picture, also frags pictures. Frags are macro pictures?

I bought a Nikon D90 with kit lens 18-105 but using this lens I can't make a nice frag pic - probably I need a macro lens (can you recommended one).

Thanks,

Rafal

your best bet would be a 18-55mm lens. cheap, and gets close enough for getting detail of coral.

examples. note these were taken when i first started using a dslr, so theyre arent the greatest.

7490955444_2f7a98da49.jpg

IMG_0104 by Isaacson.chris, on Flickr

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

Edited by Dr.eclipse

First off, for the best shots no matter what lens, turn off all of your pumps and set your camera's f-stop somewhere around f/11 or so with your camera on a tripod. I use a remote shutter cable but the built in timers on most cameras works just as well. The idea is to give the camera a few seconds to steady before the shutter opens. Lower ISO settings always help as well. Now if you want a really good lens for close ups, I would look for a 100mm Macro. They also make macro lens attachments that you just screw on to your existing lens, cheaper route.

Dr.eclipse are you using 18-55 lens?

tomtom2245 - I just saw at RC few nice pic using 85mm Macro and I'm thinking to buy one soon.

Dr.eclipse are you using 18-55 lens?

tomtom2245 - I just saw at RC few nice pic using 85mm Macro and I'm thinking to buy one soon.

You'll never regret buying a dedicated macro lens, here are some early shots I got with mine:

DSC04215_1.jpg

This is one of my favorites:

dendro_11x17.jpg

I would suggest getting a manual 50mm prime lens to start. They are cheap and offer better quality than most newer lenses. They are also among some of the sharpest lenses when stopped down a bit. The D90 offers enough MP to then crop a nice close-up. Finally, for tank shooting, I always manually focus anyways, which makes AF in a lens useless.

-Robert

Hi Rafal,

I'm talking about something like the Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8. You can find clean examples of these lenses at camera shops or ebay for around $50. It is all metal construction with very good optics and is tack sharp. You can't go wrong with the NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D AF if you don't already have another AF lens for everyday shooting. It really depends on your budget.

I will try to post some examples in a bit...

-Robert

I use my canon 17-55 f2.8 for full tank shots, but for pics of frags and extreme close ups I use a 50mm f1.8 with extension tubes and finish it up with editing using CS5 or LightRoom3

If you want true macro pictures, it is hard to beat a good quality dedicated macro lens, but for shooting frags, a macro is not what I would use due to the very narrow depth of field. It makes it hard to get everything in focus without stopping it down a lot.

Here is a a pic shot with a manual 50mm f/1.8 stopped down to f/4.

24blzc0.jpg

The same pic cropped up close. You can get a bit closer than what is shown in this picture. The original pic above was not taken as close it could have been. I'm sure you can get better results too if you spent a bit of time in Photoshop.

257d7hu.jpg

Obviously, a dedicated macro lens will get you better results if you want to go that close.

Here is a pic taken with a NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8. (I don't remember the stop used on this pic.)

Notice the narrow depth of focus.

33dc94l.jpg

Now the same picture cropped close. It's obviously better quality than the 50mm just because you are truly focusing closer.

2j1lm2w.jpg

You might want to also get some input by posting your question in the "Marine Photography" forums as there are some pro photographers here at WAMAS who can give you better insight...

-Robert

• 3 weeks later...

I just got used Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:3.5. Now I have to buy a filter (I don't know which one yet).

Picture of Neon Green Candy Cane - from Frag Fest (I'm still learning how to use that lens, it's manual).

DSC_0172.jpg