Fans in a canopy

steveoutlaw

I've currently got 2 3" fans in my canopy for ventilation. They are mounted on the back so one is blowing in toward the front of the canopy and one is blowing out of the back. I have a couple of 6" fans that I want to mount in there. I was thinking about drilling a 6" hole on both sides of the canopy and having one blowing in one side and one blowing out the other to keep air moving through the canopy.

Is this the best way to mount the fans?

Does anyone know a good place to get fan covers?

Thanks.

For cooling purposes, fans are far more efficient at pushing air than pulling it. As such, you should have both fans (if you really need two) push air into the hood and vent out through an appropriate opening. 0.02.

-Tom

Pez-

So if I put both fans on the sides and have them pushing air in would the back of the canopy (8" from the wall) be enough of an opening to vent out?

My thought on having one pushing and one pulling was to keep a constant stream of air moving across the water.

Pez-

So if I put both fans on the sides and have them pushing air in would the back of the canopy (8" from the wall) be enough of an opening to vent out?

My thought on having one pushing and one pulling was to keep a constant stream of air moving across the water.

37091[/snapback]

Yes that should be enough. Not too long ago i had two icecap 4" fans mounted in the back of the canopy just as your 3" fans are now and it did ok. But recently I took those same two fans drilled holes in the sides of my canopy(Thanks to Steve Howard) and they are both pushing air in. This as been a lot more effective at cooling the tank than placing them in the back with one in and one out. I do get a lot more evaporation so be prepared for that. HTH

Chris