My Cleaner Disappeared

steveoutlaw

So recently I had been noticing that my cleaner shrimp's feelers weren't as long as they used to be. I had also noticeds that he was hanging out in one corner of the tank. Well, now he has up and disappeared without a trace and my pair of coralbanded shrimp look awfully guilty.

Any ideas what might have happened? Will coral banded shrimp attack other shrimp?

Coral Banded shrimp are aggressive shrimp, I bet he beat them down and had his way. Some have found them to live in a tank together, I don't.

So recently I had been noticing that my cleaner shrimp's feelers weren't as long as they used to be.  I had also noticeds that he was hanging out in one corner of the tank.  Well, now he has up and disappeared without a trace and my pair of coralbanded shrimp look awfully guilty. 

Any ideas what might have happened?  Will coral banded shrimp attack other shrimp?

36995[/snapback]

Sounds like you have a mantis shrimp. If not, I have one I can sell you. PM me if interested ;)

I have a CBS and a CS living together for the past year in a 58 gallon. I've noticed that my CS's feelers sometimes get small right before he sheds. The CS knows how to avoid my CBS, but I'm sure the CBS could get the CS if he really wanted to, I keep them both fed well to avoid any hunting in my tank.

reelsteel has brought up a possibility. Cleaner shrimp hide when they're about to molt to protect themselves as they are most vulnerable when molting.

Cleaner shrimp have a relatively short life span (compared to corals and fish). However, they do hide when molting. All things accounted, I'd say the CBS had a nice lunch (or dinner).

-Tom

....... Is there another kind of shrimp that the CBS will leave alone or are they just mean and territorial?

37089[/snapback]

Shrimp are predators. Get a bigger shrimp and your CBS is in trouble.

Enjoy the pair :)