Filling a new tank

Will

I have FINALLY begun to fill my tank... How do you properly fill it without over filling it? When I filled the tank for the test and then stopped the return pump to empty the tank it seemed liked the refugium was going to overflow. I am not 100% sure it would have because I didn't give it a chance. I restarted the pump and then started to drain the water and there was still plenty of water for the tank to run fine. I am not sure how to not over fill the tank. Suggestions??

Also, I have to go out of town for a meeting Aug 2-12. Should I wait to add Bacteria from the bottle until I return or will it be ok to leave cycling unattended for that time? and No, I don't have anyone around that can watch the tank, incase you were going to ask.

Thanks ..

Will

(edited)

Did you mean sump instead of refugium? The trick is to fill it so that when your power goes out and your main pump shuts down, it doesn't overflow your sump. There are ways to mitigate that: a hole in your return plumbing to break the siphon, check valve (not ideal solution), or simply designing the system with large enough sump.

Edited by Ne0eN

As above: Drill a small hole in your return line inside the tank but just below the water line. The hole, while small, needs to be big enough not to have any risk of sliming over and accessible so that you can ensure that it has not. The when your pump is turned off (or inevitably craps out in the middle of the night), you won't siphon a lot of water out of the display tank. Fill the tank until the sump is ~ 80% full, then turn on the pump and mark the lower level in the sump so that you can maintain the water level at that point long-term. Letting your tank cycle while you are away is ideal (killing time with very little to risk), but I was ensure that it is running smoothly plumbing-wise for 2-3 days before leaving. As above, use the biggest sump possible as your floors (and wife) will thank you for it. HTH.