Tangerine Dream Chalice advice

skubaspyder

Hey all, I'm a relatively new reefer. I was searching ebay for some sweet new corals to add to my 8 gallon biocube. This is a coral I'm bidding on and I think it's quite rare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tangerine-Dream-Chalice-Coral-Jason-Fox-WYSIWYG-/120939122850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c288890a2

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to care for it?

Chalices in general are NOT rare. Some of the more unusual color morphs can be uncommon. Many of the chalice frags you find in the greater metro dc area that are sold at low prices, eventually turn into some of the 'rare' and 'high-end' variants that are being sold for top dollar. When you get a big chalice and frag it into 100 pieces, you have some "ugly" pieces left over or pieces that turned a different color after being fragged and those are sold at lower prices.

This particular chalice looks to be one of the Hollywood Stunner variants and will probably grow relatively fast and very thin. IMO, the thin plating types are not that nice and are very brittle too. If you can get the fleshy, meaty types with wild colors, those are much nicer.

Be careful where you buy from and by all means, dip it before it goes into your tank.

I don't understand

Just treat it as you would any other LPS and it will fine. If you have MH lighting, start it out low in the tank and slowly move it up. Most of the orange and red colored Chalices can take higher light.

I grow the Hollywood Stunner directly beneath a 250 20k bulb less than 8" from an MP40 and it grows fine. It's one of the the thin plating types and seems to thrive in these conditions. All of the others that I have are the fleshy types and grow fine under low flow and med light.

If you got that chalice for $74 its a steal..

Not a easy chalice to keep..I got it when it first was released and lost if about 4 months later. Know alot of others that have lost it as well..Id doesnt do well at all with ALK swings!