Is an upgrade needed in a cardiff? or a refugium for that matter?

kobustabus

Hey there! I have a cardiff 24-gallon reef system starting up (the odd AIO with the curved front). I am using an AI Sol blue and MP10, in addition to whatever came with the factory setup (factory skimmer, factory circulation as a secondary). I am curious what thoughts are out there on two factors:

1.) upgrading the skimmer to either a Hydor Koralia Slim Skim or Tunze Nano 9002

2.) putting together a CPR Aquafuge2 Refugium (probably a small or medium size)

The AIO system has three chambers... one where the protein skimmer sits, one where I have rubble (clean water trickles down flows into the third, which is a circulatory chamber... blowing it back into the tank. I bought the setup because a store back by my parents had an amazing sale, so now I am trying to see what I am working with and what I can do with what I have. The stand it is on is just that, no cabinet, so I like the look and feel of having it all contained in the back or hanging on the back as out of sight as possible. My questions are:

1.) I believe the two skimmers I mentioned are the only ones that could fit into the predesignated space already designed and sound like they are a definite upgrade from what I have. Through reading reviews, I have read that the Hydor is loud, but the performance of the two seems rather comparable. Or perhaps the one I have is okay and I am just out spending money I really don't have to. It does collect good microbubbles... and dark skimmate. I don't want to spend if I don't have to.

2.) Would it be possible to use one of the chambers as a refugium (or just put some chaeto in one). I think having a macro in the tank would help, but things have been going great. Once my tank cycled, I put in a CUC and my rocks were spotless. Now there is dark green/brown algae on them and the snails and crabs help contain, but they are not as clean as they were. Perhaps having a refugium with chaeto would help... and I can pick some out to feed my emerald crab as a treat once in awhile.

Like I said, I am fresh to all of this and am still trying to understand how all of the parts and pieces go together and more importantly, what I can be doing to make sure I have a great setup. After the above questions, next is an ATO. Right now, the refilling every day does not bother me too much because I like monitoring everything closely and it makes me do it... but extended vacations worry me.

Thanks for all of your help!

Greg