Tank upgrade and transfer

nbgen12

I'm currently running a 55g mixed reef and got a new 75g tank I will be making a stand for shortly.

Some tank info:

I've only got 1 damsel and 1 chromis right now, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 sally lightfoot crab, assorted hermits and snails, several zoas, yellow polyps, a few montipora, and a stylophora.

I've got 2 18 gallon totes from home depot, each with it's own aqueon filter and 100w cfl light which serve as QT tanks(never used yet but would put a piece of live rock in each).

Existing sand bed is about 3" deep and has been established for about 2 years.

From things i've read, I will probably scrap all but a cup or two of the old sand and buy new dry sand, and just transfer the live rock over from the existing tank to the new one, since I have about 75 pounds of live rock on there already. I plan on keeping the fish and coral in the QT tanks for a few days just to make sure something funky doesn't happen. I would really like to not deal with the QT tanks and just use them to hold the livestock until the rock is set up, then immediately move them into the new 75g display. Would this be possible? or should I just go with the QT tanks running for a week or two to see if a mini spike happens? I would like to just get it all done in one swoop as long as someone can verify that I'm not crazy for thinking this is possible haha.

I keep getting completely mixed responses from reef central forums, so figured I would see what some of the local experienced guys think around here. I've never done a transfer of a mature system so it naturally scares me to lose the coral i've got.

I appreciate any advice, information, and pointers anyone can provide!

I did this same transfer (55 to 75) a few years ago, but was going from standard setup to bare-bottom. I mixed up some fresh saltwater and matched all parameters and temp, and then started taking the water from the 55 and putting it in the 75. Once the water was high enough I transferred all the rock and coral, and slowly filled with the new saltwater. I didn't lose anything. Maybe I was just lucky?

The bare bottom move probably made a big difference on the safety of the transfer because I think the existing sand holds all sorts of nasty things. I'll probably be fine if I just use new dry sand unless I hear something different. I'll have one brute to keep the rock submerged in the existing saltwater while I move the 55 out and put the 75 in place, then another brute for new salt water. I'll probably lay down the 1" sand bed, then do the water and rock like you did bcoop. I don't think there should be any problems unless someone mentions something.

I'll just keep some prime on hand in the off chance things get a little hairy.