BigWyll's Piece of the World

This is my second attempt at a reef aquarium. My first attempt, a 50g, ended in a house fire. (At no fault of the tank). I purchased this tank from a member here, who said they purchased it from a member. Hopefully I'll sell it to another member and keep the tank in the family. Feel free to post comments, recommendation, or anything else. I am a fan of research and I have learned through reading countless forums that there are never enough opinions on a setup.

My original goal with this tank was to house some larger fish and attempt at keeping LPS and a few SPS. Later learned that the LFS isn't the most reliable source on the best tank size for larger fish. So now the plan is to stock this tank with a mix reef of SPS, LPS, and zoanthids.

gallery_2631916_1016_286467.jpg

Looking good. tell us a little about your build. Anything different from your sig? how long have things been up?

This tank is basically a between sizes tank. I eventually want to build a 10' tank in my basement. I want to get more experience in maintaining a tank before I commit the time and money into the larger build. This time around my goal is to get experirence maintaining a deep sand bed, dosing, and spot feeding. With that comes the practice of maintaining PH, Calcium, and other things that I didn't worry to much about in my 50g set up.

At this point I am still stocking the tank to the point where dosing is necessary. So I am looking for cheap colorful coral.

My biggest lesson so far is with the larger tank evaporation is making maintenece a PITA. Mainly because I do not have a deticated resevoir for RODI water or emergency water change. The tank evaporates about 7g a week. And I have little wiggle room between the max and min water levels.

ATO is in my very near future.

The tank has been up for a year. I first filled the tank in January 2011. I have pics in my photo gallery of the progress. Here are a few.gallery_2631916_1016_36311.jpgThe tank in Decembergallery_2631916_1016_27376.jpggallery_2631916_1016_59670.jpgThe tank in Marchgallery_2631916_1016_102616.jpggallery_2631916_1016_45922.jpgThe tank in Maygallery_2631916_1016_130999.jpgThe tank in Julygallery_2631916_1016_52002.jpggallery_2631916_1016_47899.jpgThe tank in Feb.