Well Water and Iron Bacteria

Tink

I have well water with a bit of iron in it, thus causing an issue with iron bacteria. What it does is coats my mixing containers with a brown slime that smells like rotten eggs after a couple days. The problem is starting to get a tad old, so I'm looking to do something about it. From what I've read the best way to kill it is with chlorine. Here's my question:

Is it safe to treat my new water with bleach?

The plan was to add a little bleach to my new fresh water and let it sit for 12 hours or so. After that I'd aerate it and add some Prime, then after 24 additional hours add the salt in. Does this sound doable? Has anyone else delt with the iron bacteria issue?

Thanks for the help folks

i have a good bit of lime and iron also in 12 years hasnt caused much trouble even without an ro/di i used to just have an airstone in my mix barrel then i but a powerhead in and leave it JUST to keep my salt stired up good are u using an ro/di and still having issues ?or you dont have

Tink, I also have a fairly high iron content in my well water. If your untreated water comes out yellow/orange like mine you need serious treatment, but if your iron content is relatively low I think it won't hurt. In response to your question, I would think that even if chlorine killed the bacteria that thrive on iron, it won't help your problem. I don't see the chlorine oxidizing the iron, so the bacteria will return.

I have done a couple of options to get rid of iron. One is to run your water through activated carbon, which cleans it up nicely. Then if you are more ambitious, take your cleaned water and add salt and then some macronutrients like nitrogen and grow a bloom of microalgae. The microalgae should take up most of the iron. then filter out the microalgae with carbon or diatomaceous earth.

hope that helps.

I have RO, but am unable to use it at the moment. Not to mention, I wonder if the bacteria would cause the membrane to clog faster?

The problem isn't the iron in the water, but the brown slime and bad smell left by the bacteria. It's kind of nasty to have the inside of the trash can, powerheads, air line, and heater all covered in brown stuff. I've noticed that it will leave deposits in my fresh water aquariums to an extent as well.

You could run the water through pre-filters to remove the iron and bacteria before it hits the RO unit. Regular flushing of the RO membrane will help to keep it from clogging.

Call the guys at Air, Water, and Ice and they will be able to help you plus they give WAMAS members a 10% discount.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/47381-air-water-ice-is-ringing-in-the-new-year-with-a-new-special/page__view__findpost__p__396884