Too...much...xenia

Guest Kimo

Guest Kimo

Hey everyone.

I have let life take over my hobby and let my xenia get OUT of control. I got one frag from Grav a while back, and not it has taken over the middle of my tank. I probably have over 20 stalks.

I'm rearranging my aquascaping for a more open look. The xenia is in a place where I want to stack some rock, and it's attached to a 30 lb rock that I will NOT be taking out of the tank (it is one of the centerpieces of the tank). I'm going to chop it up soon, maybe tomorrow night, and am looking for some advice on mounting.

I was thinking about getting some eggcrate and making a little cage using that and some window screening. I would then hang the cage from the edge of the tank and put the zenia in it with some rubble. I also know that I can sew the xenia to a rock or use some kind of netting to get it to attach. I have just never done it before!

Any suggestions?

BTW, hopefully I will have lots of xenia frags after this :)

You can take a tupperware container with a lid, create some slits in the side

so that water can flow through it. Add rubble and xenia frags and put it in

your tank. IME they attach fairly quick - within 24 - 36 hours.

Xenia will attach itself to pretty much anything. I had a hermit crab wearing a shell with a small piece of Xenia. Eventually he traded-in his shell for a more aerodynamic (aquadynamic?) model.

I had luck attaching Xenia to a LR with a toothpick stabbed through its stalk. You can gently remove the toothpick in 24-36 hrs.

By the way, can anyone tell me how many different varieties of Xenia there are? I have the standard brownish and the purplish/whitish type...

-Rob

Guest Kimo

The toothpick method looks good to me - can you please elaborate a little more? Do you just stab the toothpick into the stalk and then into the rock, so the end you were holding is sticking out?

Thanks.

Xenia will attach itself to pretty much anything.  I had a hermit crab wearing a shell with a small piece of Xenia.  Eventually he traded-in his shell for a more aerodynamic (aquadynamic?) model. 

I had luck attaching Xenia to a LR with a toothpick stabbed through its stalk.  You can gently remove the toothpick in 24-36 hrs. 

By the way, can anyone tell me how many different varieties of Xenia there are? I have the standard brownish and the purplish/whitish type...

-Rob

34279[/snapback]

Exactly. Just make sure that the stalk is touching the rock. When you remove the toothpick, gently twist it around to break free from the stalk, and then gently pull from the rock. The hole in the stalk will repair itself.

-Rob

The toothpick method looks good to me - can you please elaborate a little more?  Do you just stab the toothpick into the stalk and then into the rock, so the end you were holding is sticking out?

Thanks.

34280[/snapback]

Guest Kimo

Excellent. I will try that. Thanks for the advice!

Exactly. Just make sure that the stalk is touching the rock.  When you remove the toothpick, gently twist it around to break free from the stalk, and then gently pull from the rock.  The hole in the stalk will repair itself.

-Rob

34282[/snapback]

OUTSTANDING!!!

I always would stab the xena down the middle, Top to bottom and then into a hole in the rock. I even had the perfect drill bit that would make the perfect hole.

After it attaches to the rock, the xena usually grows around / off the toothpick, ala-terminatator 2.

phil

Guest Kimo

Oh look, it is the one who hath inflicted the scourge of the kudzu-like xenia upon me...

Hey Grav ;)

I fragged a bunch of xenia tonight (I ran out of rocks to attach the frags to!) and it took me 4 hand washings to get the nasty stench off of my skin. It's amazing how much they slime up...I've never seen anything like it before.

I used both the toothpick in hole and the toothpick and rubberband methods. We'll see which one attaches first.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Jamie

OUTSTANDING!!!

I always would stab the xena down the middle, Top to bottom and then into a hole in the rock.  I even had the perfect drill bit that would make the perfect hole.

After it attaches to the rock, the xena usually grows around / off the toothpick, ala-terminatator 2.

phil

34296[/snapback]

IME (with mushrooms, leathers and sinularia, not xenia tho) it helps to put a dab of superglue on the toothpick on the side away from the rock to keep the frag from sliding off the toothpick, esp in higher current areas

Guest Kimo
IME (with mushrooms, leathers and sinularia, not xenia tho) it helps to put a dab of superglue on the toothpick on the side away from the rock to keep the frag from sliding off the toothpick, esp in higher current areas

34377[/snapback]

That would make a lot of sense - but I might start dound that with xenia too, since I lost 2 of them off the toothpicks. They drifted off and attached to an old shell, so it's fine.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Jamie