Peppermint Shrimp "'s

BeltwayBandit

Guest Kimo

peppermints can be touch and go - they might eat the dusters.  If the aptasia are small, then IMO 2-3 peppermints will work.  If the aptasia are big, then you should kill them manually.  I have had luck wih a thick kalk paste smeared all over them.

HTH

Jamie

Personally, I would throw a dozen of them in there.  They will breed = food in the water column.  Make sure they are peppermints and not camelbacks.  I have a lot of the small featherdusters and the peppermints don't eat them.

Thanks!  I have already blasted with fervor the bigger ones.  I just keep seeing small ones and no matter how many I take out, they keep coming.  Its like the attack of the zombies.

Oh and BTW, they came on some Fiji rock from Marine Scene.  I bought a few small pieces from them and this was what brought the aiptasia into my tank.  They were covered with them.

BB

As Michael said, the more the better, mainly as a planktonic food source.  

I have/had 6 in my 120g, but I never see them, not even at night, because of my flame hawk.  If you a shrimp eater, like a flame hawk, it could harass them, eat them, whatever, so just be aware.  I'm fairly sure the flame hawk has eaten a few of the smaller ones to be honest.  

I had a similar problem when I had cleaner shrimp in there...I rarely saw them.

Guest RED DOG
Roozens usally sells peppermints 10 for 35 bucks. I have used them on a few occasions to clear aiptasia. Turned the lights out with over a hundred aiptasia, and turned the lights on in the morning with NO aiptasia.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have seen Roozens used on WAMAS forums several times- Where is it do they have a Web site and are they local.

Been To  Wally's Aquarium, Reef Tank and Marine Scene.

Thanks

Thanks- Roozen's was amzing if for nothing else than QUANTITY. I picked up a bit of LR to add and found when I put it in my Nano it was covered with very small aiptasia. My peprmint seemed to have cleared it off last night, and was still crawling over the rock this morning.

Guest RED DOG
Roozens is very good at quantity, and price. BUT you have to watch very closely at what you bring home.

Red Dog is right...

Roozens is huge and if you are a seasoned reef vet you can pick out some good stuff. but if you need advice go to the reef tank or to marine scene.

Guest mbad

peppermints seem great for aiptasia control, but will they be detrimental to any of the creatures within a detritivore kit?

anyone please.

Peppermint shrimp are opportunistic so they will feed on whatever is available and easy for them to get.  So yeah, they will eat some of those good critters but once you get an established population going, a few peppermint shrimp shouldn't wipe them out.