buying fish/coral online

Guest tburrs

Guest tburrs

do you buy fish/coral online? if so, who from? who do you recommend? I've been doing some research and it seems Vivid Aquariums (www.vividaquariums.com) has a good selection and decent prices. any feedback would be appreciated!

thanks,

travis

Guest Sachin
do you buy fish/coral online?  if so, who from?  who do you recommend?  I've been doing some research and it seems Vivid Aquariums (www.vividaquariums.com) has a good selection and decent prices.  any feedback would be appreciated!

thanks,

travis

34209[/snapback]

The site you have listed is not bad

however I think you will like

https://www.petsolutions.com

they have flat $20 shipping cost

the second pick would have to be

http://www.saltwaterfish.com

but I am a fan of Petsolutions.com

I have order from them before

they are real nice people to deal with

and their fish selection and over all heath of fish

was OUTSTANDING when I order from them

I live in Annandale/Falls Church area

It is better to order with friends

let me know if you are interested

I may be able to place the order with you

Sachin

The site you have listed is not bad

however I think you will like

https://www.petsolutions.com

they have flat $20 shipping cost

the second pick would have to be

http://www.saltwaterfish.com

but I am a fan of Petsolutions.com

I have order from them before

they are real nice people to deal with

and their fish selection and over all heath of fish

was OUTSTANDING when I order from them

I live in Annandale/Falls Church area

It is better to order with friends

let me know if you are interested

I may be able to place the order with you

Sachin

34212[/snapback]

34215[/snapback]

Sorry about that last post, not sure what happened :blink:

I have ordered from Dr Mac and Sons and been real satisfied, Real good people to deal with, and they even threw in a free little rock with zoo's last time.

Guest tburrs

Yea, I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Macs. Once my tank has been running for a few months I plan on purchasing some coral. Meanwhile I'm looking to stock the tank with some fish. Buying fish online makes me nervous, but it seems to be the way to go. I just wanted some feedback before I ordered from one of the sites and later regretted it.

Thanks!

Guest Leishman

Corals: www.reefermadness.us

Fish: www.liveaquaria.com (can't beat the 14 day guarentee)

I think that it strongly depends upon the type of livestock that you are buying. Different suppliers or LFS have strengths and weakness. There are posts here and on Reefcentral that talk about bad experiences even with Live Aquaria, Dr. Mac (whom I hold in high regard) and other reputable e-tailers.

I've seen that unless you are buying a lot of stuff (or working out a group purchase here) it may not be worth the aggrevation. It's not much of a discount after paying Fedex. And if it's $20 flat rate, then where is the money coming from to cover the real shipping cost? If you are buying a rarity or a lot of things combined that's one thing, but I've been better off buying locally for some of the more common fish and Corals. Marine Scene - if cost is no object, but it usually is. The Reef Tank guys have a broad variety and experience that comes along with the purchase. And the guy in Centerville has a limited selection but solid experience too. He keeps his cost/exposure low, so each colony is $ 36.99 regardless. He carries the more bulletproof items, so I never see Acros there though. Yet.

Oh, and about online and WYSIWYG... I've been told that some places are doctoring the photos, so what you see really ain't what yer gonna get. Anyway, I do and will buy online, but there's various factors.

FF

i have to agree with trying to buy local first its definetly the way to go and i try to buy local at all costs unless its for something rare (mostly fish) and then i will order online

Guest alex wlazlak

i got live rock from liveaquaria out of drs.fosterandsmith, and in the magazine it says its full of coraline, and has very little frags of LR.it comes in like a day, but there were only like 2 or 3 nice size pieces and a ton of frags..i didnt really want them, but the kinda look alright in the tank....but i guess thats what you get for buying LR out of a magazine.oh yeah and there wasnt too much coraline on it eather.

Guest Siders

I have to agree. I have heard numerous reports of buying fish online that are good and that are bad. Its hard to make a decision when they cancel each other out most of the time. I for one bought cheap live rock on Ebay and so far its blooming with tons of stuff on it. May have taken longer than the usual 5 buck stuff but its has worked out great. I haven't heard many bad reports about petsolutions. I never heard of vividaquariums before. I certainly do look at LFS but they have limited selection.

My 2 cents:

I think the biggest problem with buying on line is that we try to minimize the shipping costs - and so we buy way too fish. You do not buy 5 fish all at once from a local store - so do not do the same from an internet store.

Also, having tried them all, The Marine Center is the only place I buy from now. With shipping, they are probably as expensive as the local shops, but their quality can not be beat. They are the only ones I know that quarentine their fish in their own facility.

http://www.themarinecenter.com/index.htm

JC

Guest tburrs

FYI...

I just received an order from Vivid Aquariums and I am very satisfied. There was no minimum order and fedex priority overnight shipping was free. There was a $20 box fee, which from what I've seen is normal.

Check out the site: http://www.vividaquariums.com/default.asp They have a great selection and quarantine their fish prior to selling. They even provide a 15 day guarantee. Dave and Amy were great to work with and I plan on ordering from them again in the future.

Hope this helps.

Travis