RedSlime Algae

yagerboy

About a month ago my RO/DI unit broke and I had to order a new one.

Waiting for delivery, I used regular tap water for a few top offs and now have an algae issue.

My params are:

Mg - 1600 (high due to trying to eliminate algae)

PHOS - 0.05

ALK - 8.4 DKH

CA - 360

Ph - 8.4

Ammonia - o

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

My 8 bulb t-5's are only a few months old. Any suggestions on the best way to get rid of the algae issue? I believe it is red slime - very stringy and attractes air bubbles.

TIA!

Theres high TDS in tap water. How many gallons is your set up? Try water changes with RO/DI or distilled water. Increase flow. Reduce lights. If you can't filter your water buy distilled water.

Go buy RODI from a LFS till you get the new system in and running and till then if you want to get rid of the problem quick and easy just black out the tank for a few days. Turn off your lights and block all light entering the tank for 3 days then turn them back on and do a 20% water change that day and a 10% water change 2 days later. The corals will all be fine with this period but when you turn the lights back on you should have not slime left. I have done this many times in the past and it is the best way to do it. So much easier than fighting the problem.

Just my 2cents

Mike

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

My tank is 90 gallon w/ 30 gallon sump/fuge. Some of the ph's are directly on the algae problems and no luck.

I have my new RO unit and have been using that for the past few weeks and the algae is subsiding.

I will try the complete balckout approach with water changes and hope tht does the trick.