Lighting for 30g

steveoutlaw

I'm working on a tank for an elementary school and I'm trading some stuff for lighting. Right now I have an offer for a 400w mh Retrofit or a Current USA 2x96 fixture. Which should I go with???? Would I be able to keep most corals with the 2x96 fixture in a 30g?

if you are planning to keep SPS, It would be best to go with the MH and keep the softies at the low bottom of the tank. Make sure that the MH is at least 8-10" above the tank water level.

I would avoid the MH at a school. The point of having a tank in my classroom was to literally, let the kids get their hands wet. The PC gets hot, but the MH burns. Also, 400 watts is a lot of power and will generate a lot of heat. In a classroom, if you have the same AC problems that most classes face, that's a lot of heat generated, and a lot of noise to cool it off.

Guest alex wlazlak
(edited)

tanks are very distractive to me.....if there was a sw tank in one of my classes, id fail!!but good luck with it.also, id say to go with the pc's in a 30...too small for mh from what i know.

Edited by alex wlazlak