Biocube Lighting question.

donnievaz

(edited)

I have a Biocube 14 I recently bought used and I want to replace the lamps as I have a feeling that the original owner never did and they're probably a couple years old. It uses 2x 24W PC's as I'm sure most of you know. My question is this... Is it better to use 1 daylight and 1 actinic (current config) or 2x 50/50's? My thinking is that the 50/50's would distribute the light more evenly but I don't want to do that if it means less output overall.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by donnievaz

2 50/50 will give you "better distro, but having your "daylight" over your primary area of corals would be best. If you'd like I can help you retrofit your tank with another bulb. Check out my shock trauma nano, I can help you build that exact set up, 1 overdriven daylight bulb will do wonders for yout tank. And give you equivelent to more wattage than a biocube 29, SPS, LPS, SOFTIES, ANEMS, and probably a clam but I won't vouch for that one will all be yours to keep. :laugh:

2 50/50 will give you "better distro, but having your "daylight" over your primary area of corals would be best. If you'd like I can help you retrofit your tank with another bulb. Check out my shock trauma nano, I can help you build that exact set up, 1 overdriven daylight bulb will do wonders for yout tank. And give you equivelent to more wattage than a biocube 29, SPS, LPS, SOFTIES, ANEMS, and probably a clam but I won't vouch for that one will all be yours to keep. :laugh:

Looks cool but I'm not ready to sink any more money into this thing than I have to right now. Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it down the road! Thanks for the advice as well.

If you're going to stick with just the two bulbs I would do a day light in front and a actinic in back but its up to you, I just love the ability to shut down the daylight and have just actinic, but its just how I like it. I have the 14 bio cube set up with the white in the middle, 50/50 in the front with the actinic part furthermost forward, and the actinic in the back.

If you're going to stick with just the two bulbs I would do a day light in front and a actinic in back but its up to you, I just love the ability to shut down the daylight and have just actinic, but its just how I like it. I have the 14 bio cube set up with the white in the middle, 50/50 in the front with the actinic part furthermost forward, and the actinic in the back.

Are the Coralife bulbs good, or is there something better out there? (without breaking the bank)

I got my lights from Hello lights, if you need a 10k I have a brand new on I bought recently.

I do, can you bring it tomorrow? What do you want for it?