Squiddly's Aquapod 24

Hiya everyone. Today I put the first inhabitants in the Aquapod 24. It's been happily cycled, with about 15 ls of live rock, 2 false perculas (aquacultured) and 10 crabs. It's running on an aquacontroller jr. (or will be as soon as I get a new temperature sensor). My plan is to stock it with aquacultured fish, some corals that won't be too much trouble for a busy person to deal with, and an anemone once the tank is fully established.

If anyone has any special ideas re: the best way to deal with filtration, or any other special tips for dealing with the Aquapod, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!post-1002-130299838067_thumb.jpg

mechanical and chemical filt will really help with nutrient export. might want to ask some of the tunze nano skimmer users what they think

other than that the easiest way is regular small water changes, I know you have the means for that still, right?

if you keep it bare bottom get some snails once you see diatoms, if add sand and want to keep it shallow then ceriths snails would be great in up to 1" of sand. if you add sand I have a tank full of copepod and amphipod larvae ridden sand in my invert sytem.

mechanical and chemical filt will really help with nutrient export. might want to ask some of the tunze nano skimmer users what they think

other than that the easiest way is regular small water changes, I know you have the means for that still, right?

if you keep it bare bottom get some snails once you see diatoms, if add sand and want to keep it shallow then ceriths snails would be great in up to 1" of sand. if you add sand I have a tank full of copepod and amphipod larvae ridden sand in my invert sytem.

Hi Sean. Yes, I have the water filters and all, and the salt. I'm going to pick up a tester to make sure the water is ok. I'm using a sponge in the aquapod for base filtration. I'm not sure if I'm going to have need for a skimmer if I don't stock it too much, but will definitely consider it. I may still have an old one floating around. I was planning 1/3 water changes weekly. It's a really small tank so it wouldn't be too hard to swap out that much. Thoughts?

30% a week w/ a light load should be adequate for keeping it "clean" and maintaining major, minor, and trace elements at the same time. if you stick to that maybe just a pad, sponge or floss that can be replaced for cheap for cleaned easily should do the trick.

Cheers

Sean